Author Topic: Rufus Downloads Being Blocked  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

Rufus Downloads Being Blocked
« on: October 08, 2022, 05:57:53 PM »
Downloads of Rufus, a great little program which is used to create bootable USB drives, appears to be being blocked by one of the AVAST shields. I can't be bothered to check which but whatever one it is the behaviour in doing this is daft and has wasted a couple of hours of my time to today. Only when I turned off the shields temporarily could I download the latest update.

Whichever shield it is it is only blocking the last three, most recent versions v3.18 - v3.20. You can download older versions without any problem. Makes no sense does it?

This has got to be a rep issue perhaps caused by MS having a bit of a spat with the creator recently. I'm guessing some nasty little git has now tagged the most recent versions of Rufus as potential malware and AVAST has jumped on board the train.

Consequently one of the shields is failing the download before its finished without even asking and it is not being sent to the Virus Chest because of that.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 02:10:19 AM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
Re: Rufus Downloads Being Blocked
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 11:47:07 PM »
Where did you download from? I just downloaded v.3.20 and v.3.20 portable without issue from https://rufus.ie/en/#.
Avast Premium 22.9.6034 (build 22.9.7554.750) 221008-4 All shields enabled.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 12:43:25 AM »
No problem here using the link given by Simion, I just downloaded rufus-3.20.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 02:21:51 AM »
That's where I initially (tried) to get it from after the prompt to update by the program itself failed too. I then tried the github versions archive which is what many of the third party links to Rufus use.

Perhaps it was just one of my specific shield settings that caused this but it is a bit odd that the problem only affected the last three versions of Rufus.

No matter and if others here have not had the same problem then its obviously not a general one.

EDIT

Just a small update which maybe of interest. I just did my weekly updates on another PC, very similar to the one with AVAST, but this uses another, lighter weight, AV.

I had a similar but not identical problem: it would not download the Rufus portable update when using Rufus' own updater prompt. But I could download it directly from the Rufus 'homepages' without any problems and the AV scan on that was clear too.

What this means I'm not sure but it does suggest that the Rufus installer/update download has a tag that may trigger some AV shields to block it ie. its not just AVAST.     
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 01:23:18 PM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »