Author Topic: ¿What happens with Microsoft Edge?  (Read 792 times)

Offline b1380003

¿What happens with Microsoft Edge?
« on: November 05, 2023, 06:02:23 PM »
Hi, I have a problem related to Microsoft Edge: every time I close the browser, Avast shows a pop-up like the one I've attached. This problem has been happening to me for 2 months, and I have tried reinstalling the browser. However, the issue persists, and I don't know the cause of the problem. Is there anyone who could give me suggestions to solve it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ¿What happens with Microsoft Edge?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 06:26:18 PM »
First declaration - I don't use Edge so I can't speak from personal experience.

Given the source 'Process' is MSEdge itself and its destination is  msedgeextensions on microsoft.com and that is running a .js javascript filebg.js I can only assume this is trying to update MS Edge Apps.  This in and of itself may seem reasonable, but could be misinterpreted by Avast.

Personally I don't like this kind of auto update of apps/extensions, but in Firefox this has never been misinterpreted by Avast.

So in the Edge settings there must be something about updating extensions, this may be set when the browser is closed. 
Try disabling this option and see if this stops the alerts - if so try running a manual update of the extensions whilst Edge is still running - does that result in an Avast Alert  ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline b1380003

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 12:23:02 AM »
Hi, thanks for your response.
I have checked my settings, and the option "Automatic Updates" is unchecked. I believe the URL is for updating and downloading extensions for my browser. To test this, I tried installing a browser extension, and I was able to do so without any issues. Therefore, I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions or help?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 02:49:40 AM »
Unfortunately not, as I mentioned I don't use Edge so I'm not familiar with its settings.
I'm not entirely sure if the setting you mention is for Automatic Edge Program Updates and not Automatic Updates of Extensions.

I use Firefox and that is different to Edge, which is a Chromium based Browser and there are a lot more Chrome browser users in the forums.  Even the Avast Secure Browser is a Chromium based browser.

Given the above comment, if this was a common issue, I would have expected to see many such posts in the forums and I can't recall seeing any.

In Firefox Settings, that is where I can change the extensions/add-on settings.  I can only assume there is a similar function in the Edge settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security