Author Topic: UG NX4 won't run license with Avast  (Read 6082 times)

kputer

UG NX4 won't run license with Avast
« on: December 07, 2007, 10:30:48 PM »
Hello, I have found after installing Avast that my Unigraphics (UG) NX4 (CAD software) won't run the license service necessary to check out a license on the network. Is there a setting in Avast that can affect this? I've tried pausing each part of the protection but the only fix so far is to uninstall Avast.

Thanks,
Keith

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: UG NX4 won't run license with Avast
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 10:35:24 PM »
What kind of protection is it? I mean, is it a dongle attached to the server, or just some kind of license file? (Do I understand it correctly that the license is being provided by a server?)
Is avast! installed on the workstation only, or on the server as well?

What operating system do you use?
Is there anything suspicious in Windows Event Log?

kputer

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:53:24 PM »
Hi, the UG license server runs on another pc on the network. It uses port 27000 to connect with the clients that grab the available licenses. The client runs Avast only, not the server.
WinXP sp2
nothing in the logs

thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 08:53:39 AM »
What if you stop the "avast! antivirus" service in the Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services? Does that make any difference?

BTW what version of Windows are you using? And is it avast Home or Professional?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

kputer

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 04:56:48 PM »
What if you stop the "avast! antivirus" service in the Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services? Does that make any difference?

BTW what version of Windows are you using? And is it avast Home or Professional?

Thanks
Vlk

Hi, I stopped all the Avast services and still no luck. It's Windows XP pro sp2. And I just uninstalled Avast home, and the license worked for UG. Then I downloaded the Avast pro and again it stops the UG license. Any ideas? Stange that it still blocks UG when the servics are stopped. only after uninstalling Avast will I get my UG to work.

kputer

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 04:59:43 PM »
I just got this from Unigraphics support. Is there a firewall in Avast that can be adjusted?

"Hello Keith --

Siemens PLM Software doesn't recommend specific anti-virus programs, however most of your issues with FLEXlm will be with the associated FIREWALL application that comes with most anti-virus programs and not with the anti-virus program itself.

Whichever solution you choose, make sure that you can configure the firewall to allow EXCEPTIONS for the processes that manage license check-in and check-out,

lmgrd.exe
    uglmd.exe

Here at Siemens PLM Software we change anti-virus solutions from time to time.
Currently, we are using OfficeScan Client from TrendMicro. This is not an endorcement for this product, most similar products do the exact same thing, just a point of information."

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 05:57:49 PM »
Please try installing avast without the Network Shield provider.
Does that make any difference?

If not, please also try installing without the ScriptBlocker provider (I suppose you're using the Professional Edition of avast).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.