Author Topic: Standard Sheild scanning files continuously on Vista  (Read 4263 times)

teardrop

Standard Sheild scanning files continuously on Vista
« on: December 10, 2007, 12:49:33 AM »
Hello,

I had a new computer delivered last Friday and of course installed Avast straight away. The program is running perfectly, but I have noticed one feature that I would like to disable: currently the standard shield begins scanning all files saved on my computer, one after another, from the moment I boot up. Is it possible to disable this as I only really want this to happen when I actually run a scan as it is distracting hearing the hard disk/RAM operating continuously.

I am using build 4.7.1098 on Vista.

Thanks,

David

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Standard Sheild scanning files continuously on Vista
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 01:06:05 AM »
avast is a resident anti-virus scanner it isn't an on-demand scanner and as such scans files before they are opened, depending on, file type and standard shield sensitivity (Normal is the default).

What is the sensitivity you have the standard shield set to ?
What other security based software do you have, anti-spyware, etc. ?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 01:39:24 AM »
You can decrease the default sensitivity level to increase performance. But, you'll be less protected. Just set the Standard Shield to Custom level and uncheck the scanning of open/created/modified files.
The best things in life are free.

teardrop

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 04:18:17 PM »
Thanks Tech and DavidR,

I think I worked out the reason it was happening. Since it was a new installation of avast, all of the files on my computer were considered new, therefore it attempted to scan them all. Unchecking open/created/modified files did stop the background scans, but I decided not to uncheck these as I agree this is a useful function.

I did a full system scan yesterday (my first) and when I booted up this morning, avast is no longer attempting to scan in the background, since it is now aware of the files that are present. I have left the Standard Shield on normal, and it is now working exactly as I want it to.

Thanks,

David

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 05:17:59 PM »
Your welcome.

The new installation doesn't consider 'all' files new, as they already exist. By new it is newly created/modified since avast was installed.

So I'm unsure as to what else might have been going on as we have little information to go on, you didn't answer any questions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 06:24:03 PM »
Like David said, your 'answer' do not answer the question...
It could be VRDB (the 'i' icon) generating its database but not avast scanning in background.
The best things in life are free.