Author Topic: avast! and XP Event Log  (Read 10269 times)

drahnier

avast! and XP Event Log
« on: March 10, 2004, 08:00:42 AM »
I have recently recommended avast! to my gir friend and have installed it on her Xp Pro systm computer.

On my systen, running XP Pro English and avast!4 Home English, avast records eventa in XP's Event Viewer which is very fine.

On my girl friends system, which is running XP Pro German and avast!4 Home German, avast!4 does not log any events in XP's Event Log.

On both systems avast!4 is configured with exactly the same settings (I double checked this!).

So, how can I convince avast! to use XP's Event Log even on my girl friends system?

drahnier

Re:avast! and XP Event Log
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 12:13:48 PM »
nobody to help me with this?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 12:38:52 PM »
On my systen, running XP Pro English and avast!4 Home English, avast records events in XP's Event Viewer which is very fine.

What is your avast! version? Home or Profesional?
Sorry for the delay in helping you  ;D
The best things in life are free.

drahnier

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 01:20:37 PM »
Quote from: Technical link=board=2;threadid=3196;start=0#msg23075
What is your avast! version? Home or Profesional?
Sorry for the delay in helping you  ;D
[quote

as stated in my original post:

- xp pro w/ avast!4 home. up to date version.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 02:48:07 PM »
Sorry for the question... I was in a hurry when I read that.
My avast! both Home and Professional save events into the Windows XP Events feature. Can you at least see a page of the 'antivirus' or you have just three of them (applications, security and system events)?

Seems to be a Windows thread and not avast!  ::)

drahnier

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 03:52:30 PM »
Sorry for the question... I was in a hurry when I read that.
My avast! both Home and Professional save events into the Windows XP Events feature. Can you at least see a page of the 'antivirus' or you have just three of them (applications, security and system events)?

Seems to be a Windows thread and not avast!  ::)

I see that page. And on two systems it is filled with log entries, while on the third one - the one in question- it is plain empty.

drahnier

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 06:14:13 AM »
I would really like to understand this and am still hoping to get some help.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 09:17:20 AM »
Fire the avast Log Viewer (e.g. by right-clicking the avast tray icon) and go to Settings. How's the Logging sensitivity set? Normally, it's set to 'Notice'.

BTW why do you think there should be any entries? Did your girlfriend get a virus? Normally, avast shouldn't log much...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

drahnier

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 10:51:40 AM »
Fire the avast Log Viewer (e.g. by right-clicking the avast tray icon) and go to Settings. How's the Logging sensitivity set? Normally, it's set to 'Notice'.

BTW why do you think there should be any entries? Did your girlfriend get a virus? Normally, avast shouldn't log much...

to make clear what I am talking about: This is an image of XP Event Viewer Log for avast on my English language system. I simply expect a similar log on my girlfirend's German language system.

drahnier

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 10:52:21 AM »

to make clear what I am talking about: This is an image of XP Event Viewer Log for avast on my English language system. I simply expect a similar log on my girlfirend's German language system.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 11:34:19 AM »
I understand. Hence: check the sensitivity level.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

drahnier

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 12:30:49 PM »
I understand. Hence: check the sensitivity level.

It is "Notice" on English system and "Hinweis" on German system.

So it is identical. Actually, all settings are identical. I double checked. And this is what puzzles me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 12:51:40 PM »
drahnier, if you right click the gruop 'Antivirus' at left and choose properties, are they the same on each system? Is there any filter or automatic cleaner of the XP events?

My XP events looks like your English one  :-\

drahnier

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 01:26:26 PM »
drahnier, if you right click the gruop 'Antivirus' at left and choose properties, are they the same on each system? Is there any filter or automatic cleaner of the XP events?

My XP events looks like your English one  :-\

They are absolutely identical. There are no filters in effect. Both systems use %systemroot%\config\AnitVirus.Evt as logfile. Both files are 64kB in size, however the one on the German System appers to be empty (except for a small header) when opened with notepad.

Jeccu

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2004, 12:44:40 PM »
It seems that drahnier and me have always the same problems.  :)
My XP's (finnish XP Home) antivirus event log is empty too and so is my mother-in-law's (finnish XP Home).
Could this be somehow related to the issue that our automatic update doesn't work?   ???

-- Jeccu --