Author Topic: Connection to whereisip.net by sidebar.exe aborted - script:SNH-gen (TRI)  (Read 2233 times)

Offline okremer

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what this is about. Since a couple of days ago I keep getting this message from Avast Free Antivirus that sidebar.exe (in the folder Program Files, where I can definitely not find the file) was denied the connection to whereisip.net with the script explanation as mentioned in the header.

I don't see a reason why sidebar.exe or any other file would need to connect to whereisip.net in the first place and was wondering how I can fix it. I have Avast as well as Malwarebytes checking my pc daily (I'm a bit phobic in regards of things because of some bad experiences and things you read) and nothing has been found in a long time.

Any advise is really welcome.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 12:27:54 AM by okremer »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
A screenshot of the warning could be helpful and are you sure it is the Avast Program and not the Avast Online Security browser add-on ?
What is your browser ?

Are you actually using Windows Sidebar - see this link for more information - https://www.file.net/process/sidebar.exe.html

If you have Windows Sidebar setup perhaps one of those parts is trying to connect.

However. in trying to connect to whereisip.net gives a Firefox warning as there is no HTTPS connection/function available.
This makes me wonder if the warning might be Avast Online Security browser add-on related.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jimwpt

A screenshot of the warning could be helpful and are you sure it is the Avast Program and not the Avast Online Security browser add-on ?
What is your browser ?

I'm getting the same thing repeatedly today; screenshot attached.  Had the same thing, same URL, several months ago as well.  Can't see any way to whitelist this and some searching indicates that URL is benign.  My browsers are old Firefox and current Opera, and having to reenter letters and the current year for every edit to this posting is quite annoying, especially when they're so hard to make out.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 12:33:46 AM by jimwpt »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The captcha is only for the first 3 posts, an anti spam measure.

Open the See details as that can also help as to what is trying to make the connection.

As I mentioned:
Quote from: DavidR
However. in trying to connect to whereisip.net gives a Firefox warning as there is no HTTPS connection/function available.

So avast doesn't get involved at all for me.
Reporting a Possible False Positive File or Website - https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jimwpt

The captcha is only for the first 3 posts, an anti spam measure.

Open the See details as that can also help as to what is trying to make the connection.

As I mentioned:
Quote from: DavidR

So avast doesn't get involved at all for me.
Reporting a Possible False Positive File or Website - https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php.

Ok, David; I'll see if I can figure it out next time I get the popup; thanks for your quick reply and glad to hear it's only annoying on the first 3 posts!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.