Author Topic: Avast Free Antivirus suddenly asks to restart my computer!  (Read 9643 times)

Offline InvisibleMan

I've been using Avast Free Antivirus 21.8.2487 (build 21.8.6586.705)

Windows 7 SP1

I had all my updates disabled, and manually updated only virus definitions for the past several months.

But I just suddenly noticed a shortcut file to Avast on my desktop (which weren't there since I moved it right after installing Avast long time ago).

Suspecting something weird, I checked the Avast status, and saw that now it requires restarting as if it updated the program, which shouldn't be possible since I had all updates disabled for months!

What happened?

Is it an official silent update of some sort, or is it a virus? Does anyone know?

Update:
I just noticed in the Task Scheduler a task named: "Avast Overseer" that says it completed not so long ago....

Update 2:

Just found this in Autorun in my windows registry, possibly added by Avast:

Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\setup\auup697.exe
Please, tell me, who knows, what will auup697.exe do if I keep it in my autorun and restart my computer?

What exactly will it install / change in my Avast? Please, help.

I had my updates turned off for a reason: I don't want Avast making decisions on my behalf, what I should have updated or not.

So, addional question: can I just disable this Overseer task created by Avast, so that it won't do that in the future again?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 05:35:56 AM by InvisibleMan »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast Free Antivirus suddenly asks to restart my computer!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 11:17:50 AM »
Dev-Info: The only way to stay as safe as possible is to use the latest versions of the program. If you stay on an older version, you are at risk that some features stop working (because of changes in 3rd party software, i.e. out of our control), the antivirus may not be effective against latest threats (of course the antivirus core responds to the latest development in the world of malware in each version - so older version may not be able to "see" some things), and you may be vulnerable to some security bugs in the antivirus itself (which again we fix once we learn them - and the fix is released as new versions).
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 04:44:52 PM »
I appreciate your concern, but that wasn't my question at all, so you reply isn't helpful at all.

My question was about what was this silent update about, and was it an official thing or is it a virus pretending to be a silent update?

As for what you said...
I'm sorry, but in the past I had way too many bad experiences with various problems and things breaking down after yet another Avast automatic update (just like I also had problems with some other programs updating, like OS Windows).

My strategy for the past years was this: make sure that I find a stable version of Avast (or any other program) and stick to it.

Having new virus definitions updating only works quite well. I never get any indications of an infection (and I do use various way to check it out every month).

And talking about problems: I never could use Avast with zero issues unless I limit myself to using only TWO shields: File and Web shields. Everything else, including antirootkit and (forgot its name) some other hidden shield (those two I always have disabled now). That's the only way I can get it to work without breaking down how my computer and other programs work.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 04:49:51 PM »
Hi, read here why you shouldn't run 21.8: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=319438.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 05:05:24 PM »
Hi, read here why you shouldn't run 21.8: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=319438.0
Next thing you'll be telling me I shouldn't run Windows 7?  ::)

It's not the first time people scare me with vulnerabilities in old products I prefer to use.

I believe I have enough experience to add extra protection to my computer.
(Not having to fix anything in my Windows 7 over the past decade, and having everything working smoothly says I'm quite capable of handling it.)

And you don't think that the basic Avast protection is all I'm using, do you?

Avast is running only as a precaution.

I don't visit malicious sites, and don't run suspicious files.
I have a meticulously set-up Firewall protection.
I complitely blocked internet access to  ALL possibile system files on my PC.

Anyway...

I'd appreciate if you stopped forcing me to do something I don't need.

If you can't answer the questions I actually asked, please, don't respond here anymore.

Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 05:14:34 PM »
Well, it's your system, so do as you like. :P

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 05:18:51 PM »
Well, it's your system, so do as you like. :P
I'm sad though that you chose not to read my message fully before responding .

You see, that link you provided is about the vulnerability in The Anti Rootkit driver.

But in my message I specifically said that I ALWAYS keep the anti-rootkit protection disabled, becuase over the past years I always experienced problems with some of my software whenever that protection was enabled.

In other words, having or not having that vulnerability in Avast 21.8 won't change anything in my case.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 05:20:46 PM by InvisibleMan »

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 07:24:36 PM »
"I don't visit malicious sites, and don't run suspicious files."
How do you know? Today's safe site can be tomorrows affected site.
That's why you need protection.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 10:46:36 PM »
"I don't visit malicious sites, and don't run suspicious files."
How do you know? Today's safe site can be tomorrows affected site.
Experience.
Understanding what I'm doing online or on my PC, and what's actually going on.
Manual adjustment of which processes on my PC are even allowed to accept  or initiate internet connections.
Etc.

It's been 15 years or so since my last computer infection (which is a result of a lot more serious approach to my PC protection, but without slowing it down with superflous software).

What I don't like is when some program, like Avast in this case, hides something in task scheduler to install some unknown things without my knowledge.

They at least should have indicated it in the Avast's settings (and I don't mean its hidden advanced settings), since every person should have 100% control and ability to make a choice when it comes to what they want to have running on their computer.  ;)

What I need is a balance between protection and stability of my Windows and all the software I'm using on it.

Whenever I tried going for the most recent software (vs. the most stable, tested with time) I often ended up having issues as a result. Avast is no exception.

So for many years already I aim to use the tested and stable versions instead of most recent ones. 

I think I have enough proof by time and experience to go for compromises, even if in theory it can make my PC more vulnerable.
I'm still sure that it's unlikely I'll run into any problems with viruses.

Same thing goes for OS as well.
I bet many people would say I should switch to Windows 10 (or especially 11).
But Windows 7 covers all my current needs.

And most importantly: I don't like Windows 10 at all (yes, I'm forced to use it, but not on my main PC).
I'd like to make my own decisions.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 10:57:15 PM by InvisibleMan »

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 11:47:35 PM »
As already stated by another member, Your computer, your choice.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 12:50:40 AM »
As already stated by another member, Your computer, your choice.
I know.

What I don't get is why is it so that all I got after starting this topic were off-topic attempts to convince me to update my antivirus.

When I asked two simple questions in my very first post:

1. Is it an official silent update of some sort, or is it a virus?

2. What will auup697.exe do if I keep it in my autorun and restart my computer? What exactly will it install / change in my Avast?

???

Oh well. It's not important anymore. I had to restart my computer for a different reason. Created a restore point before doing so just in case.

I'm leaving this topic now. Thank you for all your helpful answers!  :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 12:55:46 AM by InvisibleMan »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 01:07:49 AM »
Question: Why does Avast update itself when automatic updates are explicitly disabled?
Answer: You shouldn't keep running older versions of Avast.

Well great. That didn't answer the actual question, now did it? In fact, discussing the merits and dangers of running older versions is pulling the thread off topic. Which last time I checked was frowned upon.

To the topic starter: I've had this happen too in the past. Updates of the program disabled. Updates of the virus definitions on automatic. And yet, at some point Avast installed a program update without my consent and without asking. I still don't know why or how, because if I were to ask here I'd get this exact response, and not an actual answer to my question.

Apparently you're not supposed to question the inner workings or motives of Avast and the team behind it. Shut up and accept what we give you, Avast Free peasant. Something like that.

I'm all in favor of keeping software up to date, when it's relevant. But I'm also in favor of being in actual control of my own machine. Disabled means disabled. No ifs ands or buts. Words have meaning in language. Don't play games.

Scare tactics also don't help.

As far as overseer.exe goes: Avast functions fine without it. You can delete it if makes you feel better. You don't need it, or the scheduled task that goes with it. Disable self-defense, delete the folder/files and task, re-enable self-defense. Done. I'm sure someone will advise you against it, as it might make Avast less robust in theory, but in practice it really doesn't seem to matter much.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 04:00:09 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 02:26:14 AM »
@Rundvleeskroket

Thank you for the actually useful and supportive reply!

Apparently you're not supposed to question the inner workings or motives of Avast and the team behind it. Shut up and accept what we give you, Avast Free peasant. Something like that.
Seems like that...
Also, I've seen enough complaints from Avast Premium users around here to realize that even they aren't always treated fairly.

But I'm also in favor of being in actual control of my own machine. Disabled means disabled. No ifs ands or buts.
Indeed.
Unfortunatelly big companies often try to put all their userbase into the same category: newbies who don't know anything about computers and who need all the decisions to be made for them by a very helpful "big brother"...

Hey I even keep seeing recently how people's exceptions in Avast are being either ignored or removed for no reason.
Yeah... And they wonder why I don't want to update my Avast for the time being?

In fact, almost every update of Avast I risked to make in the past resulted in me having to endure some newly introduced issues or bugs, updating regularly, until I end up getting a stable and properly working version, which I try to keep using for as long as possible.

(And some bugs I reported seem to be unresolved for many months, judging by other people's reports. So why should I update so often?)

And finally, let's face it: nobody is gonna optimize newer versions of Avast for Windows 7 I'm using. So, the newer version I get, the more chances it will work worse and with more conflicts or unexpected issues or bugs. So again, why would I want to update?

If something isn't broken: don't fix it!  :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 02:34:20 AM by InvisibleMan »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 04:14:24 AM »
It seems there is the Avast way of running the program, and the 'wrong' way. What gets tested is the default everything. Deviate and you're left in the lurch. I don't get the feeling many edge cases are ever considered. Or even what I would consider very normal use cases, that aren't the Avast recommended "install every component, use only our bloated ecosystem of tools and programs, and keep everything on full auto because we know better than you" way. Which might be fine for a select few people, but doesn't work at all for power users.

Every problem I've had so far with Avast amounts to seemingly poor testing, settings getting ignored, or simply case after case of "menu says X, program actually does Y". That and straight up lies by Avast representatives about what Avast will or won't do. Such as enabling certain telemetry options after a fresh install. Avast says it doesn't do that. I demonstrably show it does. I call them out, I get told to shut up. They themselves don't seem to know how their own program functions.

Now that I think about it, I wonder why I still use it. Maybe because pretty much all other AV's have gone the same route. The devil you know, and all that. Sigh.

What I do with most of my software: I run a VM with much of the same software as my main PC (host). I update things there and test them for a while. If no weird things happen, I update my main PC. But only after my monthly imaging job. That way I have a safe state to revert back to if need be. Many in fact. It does mean having to fight all the auto-update functionality now common in everything. Sometimes by what amounts to hacking my own system. Just to get back control over what used to be the norm. I tend to keep things fairly up to date, but manually. Image, update, test. Rinse and repeat. I get that a lot of people would just never update again, but I do. I think automatic updates should be the default, but there should be an option to do things on your own schedule.

Last week I updated Avast, to keep current, and it started to delete exceptions and quarantining explicitly excepted files, over and over again. And then people wonder why you might be tempted to stick with an older version? Gee, I wonder why.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 04:31:53 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 04:34:50 AM »
Which might be fine for a select few people, but doesn't work at all for power users.
To be fair though, in reality, those are actually the majority of people who's using computers: they really only want to click once and forget, and wouldn't want to spend time going through settings, etc.

And because of the majority of people being like that, the "power users" have to pay the price by enduring the hardships or search for some other niche products.

I was able to find some of such niche products for some cases.

But in case of antiviruses it's very hard to find at least something decent. The best choice I know so far is still Avast Free Antivirus. Which might change in the future if they force everyone to Avast One which from what I heard will be bloated with functions impossible to uninstall or disable to free memory and CPU at all.

Last week I updated Avast, to keep current, and it started to delete exceptions and quarantining explicitly excepted files, over and over again. And then people wonder why you might be tempted to stick with an older version? Gee, I wonder why.
Yeah...

That's probably related to those two hidden shields:

antirootkit and some other one right nearby it.

Those always seemed to cause various issues for many people (and for me) over the past years.
So I have them all disabled. And it's a good idea to double check afrter any update of the program, if any of the settings changed or shields got re-enabled again.

And you should be careful if you try to tempoarily stop your running shields: if you use the standard menu: it would also re-enable those two hidden shields.

Also, scanning HTTPS I always keep disabled. Since too much issues with that function.

Maybe because pretty much all other AV's have gone the same route. The devil you know, and all that. Sigh.
Yes. But so far among all the antiviruses I tested, Avast still proves to catch the most real viruses, has the least amount of false detections, and uses the least amounts of system resources (at least if I only keep the most essential shields: File and Web).

So... For all the complaints I have myself and see from others, Avast Free Antivirus is still the best out there.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 04:45:00 AM by InvisibleMan »