Author Topic: Windows XP Pro at last update crash with BSOD 0x0000007E and avast! 4 home  (Read 6147 times)

Lazotea Verbenera

I used avast! 4 home edition from 2 months until 2 days.
My PC was running Internet Information Server V5.x + 2002 frontpage server extensions. All right, only 10 simultaneous connections for my family and friends, but we are happy so.
From two months at now my PC crashed with BSOD 0x0000008E for no apparent reason. I replaced Motherboard / Memory and Graphic Card searching for the problem. My joy in a pit!.
Then I found that the error occurred when making a HTTP request at my own machine running IIS. I replace IIS for Apache2, and made a test "http://machine_name/" and immediately, as usual, blue screen of dead 0x0000007E without driver mention. This can not be happening to me.

Then began the time of old programs:
Zone Alarm was uninstalled and nothing changed
Avast! 4 Home Edition was uninstalled and OH La La!. The crash disappeared!!

The final test: resettlement, new installation of avast! 4 home edition and ... Crash again. OK. Problem identified.
Searching for exact solution I stopped all "Ash..." services from the HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run register keys and from the services console. Restart Windows with the services Disabled. But nothing, Crash again.

Now, from 2 days at now, my PC is working without antivirus.
Can you help me?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows XP Pro at last update crash with BSOD 0x0000007E and avast! 4 home
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:14:33 PM »
Are you using Windows XP?
If so, please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis.
Better if you can compress (zip) them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)

Send an email to any of these addresses:
vlk (at) avast.com
rypacek (at) asw.cz

Or upload to the any of these anonymous ftp servers:
ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming
ftp://www2.asw.cz/incoming
The best things in life are free.

Lazotea Verbenera

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 06:07:09 PM »
Hello Tech, thank you for help me.
I'm sorry don't send you the request information, another than yet i did say to you:
Operating system Microsoft XP Professional V2002 SP2. Current Version "2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254"  Buid 2600 V5.1
The crash leaves no traces, no minidump in %systemroot%\minidump, no relevant registers at the events viewer, only BSOD without driver mention with error code:
STOP 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8054AA32, 0xF0BF2C34, 0xF0BF2930)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 06:15:52 PM »
Google for 0x0000007E and you'll find a lot of info.
Can you narrow your problem and post back?

Besides Google also you can use:
MS knowledgebase: http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
Free memory tester (Run it overnight): http://www.memtest86.com/
XP error explanations: http://www.xptuneup.com/xptuneup_stopmessages.htm
The best things in life are free.

Lazotea Verbenera

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 06:50:50 PM »
Hi Tech, I know 0x0000007E STOP condition under XP.
I regret not being able to be more concise, but he problem that I am raising is not about the status of stopping the system but on the fact that avast! 4 who is producing it.
I think that "Alwil Software" has to work on this problem to fix. I can say you that Norton Antivirus products and Bit Defender 2008 do not produce the breakdown.
Let us remember that the problem occurs when there is a request to TCP port 80 while "avast! 4 home edition" is installed (it does not need to be running).

Thank you for your interest.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 07:59:25 PM »
Hi Tech, I know 0x0000007E STOP condition under XP.
I regret not being able to be more concise, but he problem that I am raising is not about the status of stopping the system but on the fact that avast! 4 who is producing it.
I think that "Alwil Software" has to work on this problem to fix. I can say you that Norton Antivirus products and Bit Defender 2008 do not produce the breakdown.
Let us remember that the problem occurs when there is a request to TCP port 80 while "avast! 4 home edition" is installed (it does not need to be running).

Thank you for your interest.

Hi Lazotea,
judging from your crash analysis your are pretty good with the debugger! I have seen many crash dumps, but discovering the reason of the problem was many times very tricky. I would not dare to guess anything without the dump.

If your really want us to make some attention to the problem please either send us the memory dump (minidump or memory.dmp depending of your system configuration), or send the dump to Microsoft (as you were probably asked just after Windows restarted). We will be able to get the dump from them.

Regards,
Lukas