Author Topic: Connecting to sites - This site can’t be reached  (Read 2365 times)

Offline andrew728

Connecting to sites - This site can’t be reached
« on: May 26, 2022, 12:15:56 AM »
I am using Avast premium 22.4.6011 (build 22.4.7175.724) on a Windows 11 PC
I contract to a company and they provide me with a secure VPN to connect to their websites.
In the last six months I have been having trouble connecting to their websites, I am getting an error message "This site can’t be reached"
If I disable all of Avast's sheilds I have no problem connecting. Once connected I can re enable the shields and continue working.
I have added the sites to the exception lists but I still have the problem.
Any suggestions for a fix?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Connecting to sites - This site can’t be reached
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 12:44:39 AM »
What if you try setting the Avast Firewall to Private/Trusted Network.

Disabling all shields (if you did that all at once) isn't going to determine which it is.  Disabling one at a time helps to fault find.

I don't use a VPN, but if this comes in the forum of an installed VPN program, then you could try allowing that VPN program in the avast firewall.

Sorry I can't be more helpful as I don't use the Avast Firewall or a VPN.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 02:54:28 AM »
I am using Avast premium 22.4.6011 (build 22.4.7175.724) on a Windows 11 PC
I contract to a company and they provide me with a secure VPN to connect to their websites.
In the last six months I have been having trouble connecting to their websites, I am getting an error message "This site can’t be reached"
If I disable all of Avast's sheilds I have no problem connecting. Once connected I can re enable the shields and continue working.
I have added the sites to the exception lists but I still have the problem.
Any suggestions for a fix?
Enable all the shields back. So you can find the culprit.

After re-enabling, make sure you keep consistently getting the same issue again, so you can begin the test.

Then try doing these steps (one change in settings at a time and then check if that fixed it):

Go into Avast's Settings > Protection > Core Shields

Go to the Web Shield's subsection there and disable scanning of HTTPS.

If didn't help, find and disable a hidden Anti-Rootkit Shield (uncheck it). (By the way, they probably won't tell you this: but anti-rootkit shield ignores the exceptions possibly due to the bugs in the recent version.)

If didn't help, also disable the Hardened Mode there too.

If you're sure that even all those things applied together didn't help, then re-enable everything back and try the solutions suggested by DavidR.

P.S. If nothing from above helps, try to disable only the Avast Firewall, and if it works, then you might need to use Avast Antivirus without its Firewall, and use the Windows Firewall instead, the built-in one.

And don't worry about your protection then, since Windows Firewall is actually not worse than Avast one. In fact it had a lot higher user number to get tested over many years, so most likely it has fewer bugs and issues anyways. That's my preferred set-up anyway.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 03:09:04 AM by InvisibleMan »

Offline andrew728

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 06:16:50 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I try them and let you know how I get on.