Author Topic: Avast web-shield/other shields working correctly but not displaying popups  (Read 1630 times)

Offline cdew117

Hi all,

Been having this 'issue' for a little while now, iirc it's only been a thing since upgrading to Avast One, I don't recall having this with the previous free version. Whenever Avast blocks a site (marked by an aborted connection for web/note in the log file) there is no popup, not sure about file shield but this is just going off the web shield test site/other malicious ones I may have visited in the past on the log file alone.

Silent mode is not active, so popups should still appear, honestly can't say what could be stopping them showing if it is anything, I also run MBAM pro with some exclusions so perhaps that could have a part to play. If this is a little vauge, I'd be open to putting here more information on the matter. Win 10 pro, 64-bit.

I tried this on Edge but also Avast Secure Browser (which security/convenience wise is actually pretty solid), on
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 11:15:53 PM by cdew117 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline cdew117

thanks. is there any way to keep both avast's web shield and MBAM pro's web protection active at the same time? I don't see any real conflicts with both it's just a fact that the dialogue box for avast no longer shows however again I do see a message/log note in the log file...
Either way I've personally found avast to be quite decent, and the web shield to be very accurate/quality/exact with the detection rate for blocking sites/http scanning/protection against botnets etc.
mbam's web protection is very trustworthy to say the least too. If I had to disable one or the other which would be a non biased answer the readers of this thread can give me?

I have both installed really because I'd rather total minimize the risk of getting almost any malware on my PC, security cautious or ocd-ekse I don't know. :/

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If you ever do have a conflict, that could let in malware.  I used to use MBAM Pro for years and it was essential to avoid conflict as the MBAM support site confirmed.  Two functions essentially trying to do a similar tasks is like two dogs and one bone (fight). 

I stopped using the MBAM web protect function as I felt it caused more false positives, so I disabled it.  There was also the possibility of conflict with the File Shield and again why  MBAM support site recommended creating rules/exceptions for each other to avoid conflict.

However, I found later that MBAM was becoming a resource hog and uninstalled it completely and I had a paid life membership.

I have been using Avast Free antivirus for over 18 years and no infections, but I also exercise care and don't stick my head into a dark place to see what is there.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cdew117

From what I can see from using both for a while the combination hasn't ever really caused me any trouble at all and both worked fine together there weren't any conflics. I disabled web protection on MBAM and tried the avast web shield test site, the site was auto-disconnected with the web shield and using edge with the eicar test file it wouldn't download, on avast's browser it auto-blocks it anyway... after avast's phishing protection/trafficlight attempts to block it first... yeah.

I think when it comes to preventing access to malicious sites I have all I need and more, so yes web shield blocks websites (after mbam's web protection attempts to first, usually what I have noticed when visiting slightly dodgy sites although not to intentionally), although the web shield does have other features that I haven't seen "activated" in a long time since older builds, only thing I can think of is Avast (if anyone can confirm it would be appreciated) has made the shield silent. I guess I'd just like to see a more visual display of web shield, is there something in settings that can "re-enable" popups? Again even with mbam's web protection off it still doesn't show a popup.

I am hoping/anticipating the web shield does still script scan/prevent botnet attacks in the background, I don't see a huge resource hog so I'll keep on using both.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 10:37:32 AM by cdew117 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0