Author Topic: annoying "you are protected" message wont go away  (Read 4756 times)

Offline rabescathedral

annoying "you are protected" message wont go away
« on: May 27, 2022, 12:22:23 AM »
Hi
I have had this going on for a while - If ever move the cursor ofver the avast icon in my icon tray, whether by accident or not a green (or sometimes red) box will appear on the screen just above the notification tray with the message "You are Protected"

I have gone through the avast settings to turn off all manner of notifications but still the green box message wont go away, it is frustrating as it sits over everything and so it is just in the way if there is anything on the screen that i am doing in that area or have to look at there.

please someone tell me i am not alone with this issue and tell what can i do to remove it

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: annoying "you are protected" message wont go away
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 02:49:53 AM »
Its a default setting to tell you the current state of your protection, if Red it is telling you that you aren't protected.

I in all honesty have never had an issue with this, so haven't gone looking, but the only thing that comes to mind is not to display the tray icon.  However you lose quick access to the interface.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bubbastien

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 10:11:38 PM »
I've had the same problem for months, nothing recommended here fixes the problem. If you hide the tray icon and have to go in to change a setting on another hidden icon, rolling over it causes the same problem, an inch higher on the screen. I have also never been able to solve the issue of it always showing "you are protected" when all the shields are disabled.  Nothing like having an inaccurate status popup permanently blocking access to the lower right corner of your screen where everyone places their controls.

It's also missed several pieces of malware from malicious websites I've been forwarded to, so I have to check with malwarebytes every day to see what avast missed. So really, no point in keeping this annoying product on my machine  >:(

To the folks at avast, if you even look in these forums, this free piece of junk will not make people want to upgrade to a paid version of your product, just the opposite.

I'm dumping this for a good paid solution that actually works right like symantec or eset.

Offline waking

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 02:43:48 AM »
If ever move the cursor ofver the avast icon in my icon tray, whether by accident or not a green (or sometimes red) box will appear on the screen just above the notification tray with the message "You are Protected"

When you pass the mouse cursor over ANY icon in the tray or taskbar
a tooltip popup will appear with a short description, status info, etc.
That's default Windows behaviour.

The Avast/AVG popups may be a little different in that they are coloured,
and a little larger than most. However, some other icons will also yield
a popup holding several line of info. For example the Keyboard language.

I'm not aware of any Windows settings option to disable this behaviour,
either globally or application-specific.

Offline Brainy

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 03:02:17 AM »
I totally agree it's extremely annoying. The problem is not that the popup appears, it's annoying because it doesn't disappear again. it just remains on your desktop on top of other apps until the pc is restarted
Doin It The Smurfy Way.

Offline Brainy

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 03:05:49 AM »
Here is an example while on the forum page
Doin It The Smurfy Way.

Offline waking

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 03:11:42 AM »
If ever move the cursor ofver the avast icon in my icon tray, whether by accident or not a green (or sometimes red) box will appear on the screen just above the notification tray with the message "You are Protected"

The tray has an area for hidden icons, indicated by an up arrow.

Click on the Avast/AVG icon in the tray and drag it to that hidden
icons area. The Avast/AVG icon will then be in that hidden icons area
and can be accessed by left-clicking on the up arrow to open the
display of all hidden icons, where you can click on the Avast/AVG
icon when you want to open the GUI.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 03:21:56 AM by waking »

Offline waking

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 03:17:57 AM »
The problem is not that the popup appears, it's annoying because it doesn't disappear again. it just remains on your desktop on top of other apps until the pc is restarted

I've never seen that behaviour in AVG. The popup goes away as soon
as the mouse cursor is moved away from the icon. Certainly sounds
like a bug in the Avast behaviour.

Offline Brainy

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 03:28:55 AM »

The tray has an area for hidden icons, indicated by an up arrow.

Click on the Avast/AVG icon in the tray and drag it to that hidden
icons area. The Avast/AVG icon will then be in that hidden icons area
and can be accessed by left-clicking on the up arrow to open the
display of all hidden icons, where you can click on the Avast/AVG
icon when you want to open the GUI.
I agree it must be a bug, but unfortunately quite an annoying one.  :-\ On the system the icon is moved to the hidden area automaticly upon installation. Since it's combined with other apps on this section it frequently happens that the user will move over it to reach other apps (like steam, multimedia apps or progressive apps on the system tray). When this happens the notification is supposed to dissappear after a few seconds like the general behaviour of windows for all apps, but it doesn't which result in the user being forced to stop all his\her work and restart the system to get rid of the notification on top of all other apps. This issue is definately not windows related as it started only a while ago and only with the avast notification.
Doin It The Smurfy Way.

Offline waking

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 03:40:00 AM »
The problem is not that the popup appears, it's annoying because it doesn't disappear again. it just remains on your desktop on top of other apps until the pc is restarted

Does it go away if you right-click on the Desktop and select Refresh from the menu?

Offline Brainy

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 03:48:19 AM »
No, no matter what action is taken it stays on the desktop. The only actions that removes it is either to sign out or restart the system. The only solution for now I believe is to disable the system tray icon entirely until the issue is resolved with an update. Like previously said unfortunately the quick access to the app itself is not available but the user can still pin avast to the start menu and scan via explorer right click. Luckally it's only one click more to open the GUI in case of need.
Doin It The Smurfy Way.

Offline waking

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2022, 03:52:55 AM »
The only solution for now I believe is to disable the system tray icon entirely until the issue is resolved with an update. Like previously said unfortunately the quick access to the app itself is not available but the user can still pin avast to the start menu and scan via explorer right click.

Or use a Desktop shortcut?

Offline Brainy

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2022, 03:59:49 AM »
Yes a desktop shorcut will work aswell. Both options will work until the system tray is fixed. I have disabled it now and even noticed an improvement in system startup. Although I don't think it's supposed to make a difference, and I'm not a technician either for that matter, but my system tray and start menu loaded with some time and ease improvement. So I hope Avast will look into this, cause it still remains my av of choice.
Doin It The Smurfy Way.

Offline Nom

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2022, 05:53:00 AM »
I've had the same problem. I have uninstalled StartIsBack++ and everything works correctly.

Offline Brainy

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2022, 09:55:01 AM »
Unfortunately I do not use startisback++. But thank you for the advise because if this worked for you, it means that this is start and taskbar related. I use the native Windows ui, so what I have done is troubleshooted my start menu and the only issue that came up was that cortana is not connected. If this is causing the issue there will be no sollution in my case because cortana's online features is not supported in our country.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 10:33:44 AM by Brainy »
Doin It The Smurfy Way.