Author Topic: What does this log entry mean? Or how do I turn off the logging for AvastUI.log  (Read 3528 times)

Offline InvisibleMan

Hello.

My HDD is being teсhnically abused by writing every 3 seconds into this log file by Avast:

Code: [Select]
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\AvastUI.log
Two questions:

1. What does this entry being written every few seconds mean, and how can I stop it from begin logged there?

[2022-05-27 23:00:54.502] [notice ] [swhealth_ui] [ 3756: 3836] asw::swu_ui::SoftwareHealthScanner::Initialize
[2022-05-27 23:00:54.502] [info   ] [swhealth_ui] [ 3756: 3836] Connecting service controller
[2022-05-27 23:00:54.502] [warning] [swhealth_ui] [ 3756: 3836] Failed to initialize:   Rpc call failed
                                                                   SoftHealth_State failed (1753)

2. If it's impossible to easily solve the problem that causes this log to be written,
is there a way to turn off the logging at least for this log file?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 02:01:27 AM by InvisibleMan »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Hi, easy solution would be to allow AvastUI to connect. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline InvisibleMan

Hi, easy solution would be to allow AvastUI to connect. ;)
Ah, so that's what it is.

But what if I need to also run a copy of Avast Free on a device that is meant to always stay offline (regardless of the reason).  :)

In any case, the problem is, I need to block its connection anyway.  ;)

In the past, Avast Free Antivirus began smothering me with ads, suggestions, etc. which I don't need. I don't have any extra money to invest in it, and no amount of nag-screens is gonna make me do so anyway (at least not in the near future).

So the only choice was to block it in the third-party firewall (yeah, yet another reason why it's better not to use Avast Firewall, since then it wouldn't alow to block itself).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 10:35:04 PM by InvisibleMan »

Offline SILENT-da

HDD is being tehnically abused by writing every 3 seconds into this log file by Avast:
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\AvastUI.log
1. how can I stop it
[2022-05-27 23:00:54.502] [notice ] [swhealth_ui] [ 3756: 3836] asw::swu_ui::SoftwareHealthScanner::Initialize
[2022-05-27 23:00:54.502] [info   ] [swhealth_ui] [ 3756: 3836] Connecting service controller
[2022-05-27 23:00:54.502] [warning] [swhealth_ui] [ 3756: 3836] Failed to initialize:   Rpc call failed
                                                                   SoftHealth_State failed (1753)

2. is there a way to turn off the logging at least for this log file?

I have exactly the SAME PROBLEM.

Did you find a solution for this?  :-\

Offline InvisibleMan

Did you find a solution for this?
Yes, actually!

I found an old thread where a person did find a solution:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=316848.msg1677864#msg1677864

Though setting that file to Read Only didn't seem to work at first.

But then I did this, and it worked:

1. Temporarily disable Avast's self-defense in the Troubleshooting section of its Settings.
2. Set the AvastUI.log file to Read-Only via Right Click -> Properties in Windows File Explorer.
3. Enable Avast's self-defense back.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 12:50:37 AM by InvisibleMan »

Offline SILENT-da

Set the AvastUI.log file to Read-Only via Right Click -> Properties in Windows File Explorer.

Thank you for your quick help!
Yes, this is what i tried and didn't work at first, too, but your advice triggered me to try it again.

I set it to 'read-only' now and simply did a restart of my system, and it works.
Let's keep in mind: Always try a restart after changing something. ;D

Okay, so the problem is solved in the first instance, but i would appreciate to find out,
- why Avast try to 'rpc call' every 3 seconds,
- why it is constantly failing,
- and maybe to stop Avast directly doing this.

Sadly Avast absolutely offers NO support for 'Free'-users; it could be done by simply asking, or at least by sharing it for a fix in future updates.
If a Premium/Pay-user is reading this: Please ask Avast for us poor little Free-users! :D

Offline InvisibleMan

By the way, jus a piece of advice. :) It's not a nice practice to use big fonts like that. While it does catch attention, it also creates a feeling that you're yelling constantly, and looks kinda immature. So others won't respect your posts.

Okay, so the problem is solved in the first instance, but i would appreciate to find out,
- why Avast try to 'rpc call' every 3 seconds,
- why it is constantly failing,
- and maybe to stop Avast directly doing this.
If you would read the other comments in this thread (before yours), you would notice why it's happening.

That error means it can't connect for some reason to a server. So, either your computer is offline,
or in your Firewall AvastUI.exe is blocked (it's incoming connections at the very least).

It could be blocked manually, or even automatically by some software.

As for why it tries to connect: for example it's checking if there are some ads or other informational messages are needed to be shown to you.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 11:18:44 AM by InvisibleMan »

Offline SILENT-da

By the way, jus a piece of advice. :) It's not a nice practice to use big fonts like that. While it does catch attention, it also creates a feeling that you're yelling constantly, and looks kinda immature. So others won't respect your posts.

10pt font size avast-forum-standard is to small for me on screen, and I only use 12pt to ballance it; it's not that big deal. If i would really like to impact "yelling"

IT WOULD LOOK LIKE THIS!!!

;)

That error means it can't connect for some reason to a server. So, either your computer is offline,
or in your Firewall AvastUI.exe is blocked (it's incoming connections at the very least).
It could be blocked manually, or even automatically by some software.
As for why it tries to connect: for example it's checking if there are some ads or other informational messages are needed to be shown to you.

Thank you very much for the information!

My system is online, and the only program, which might be responsible for blocking avast, is the Windows-firewall, so the question is:
Is Windows blocking Avast by default? ???

If the 'rpc fail' prevents ads, then, go ahead.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@ SILENT-da
It looks like you are able to read the replies and "InvisibleMan" presumably hasn't changed his Font size in his replies.

You shouldn't need to change the font size in your posts, try changing the viewing size in your browser (which is ? ). 

I use Firefox (but this should be available across browsers) and just use the following key combination Ctrl and + (plus) keys together and that changes the viewing size in browser screen, but not universally for everyone viewing your posts.  This can be reversed using the key combination Ctrl and - (minus) keys together.  That way individuals can set a viewing size that is comfortable for them.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SILENT-da

@DavidR

I'm not here to discuss offtopics like font sizes.
My Firefox-font size is well selected. The default font-size of this forum here is in my opinion too small; Avast offers the option to change it, and I use it.
And every future reader of this thread with the same problem of uncomfortable reading will be happy.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
My system is online, and the only program, which might be responsible for blocking avast, is the Windows-firewall, so the question is: Is Windows blocking Avast by default? ???
Nope.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline InvisibleMan

@SILENT-da
Could your Windows be adjusted by someone else before? Like a person who installed Windows on your device in the first place, or could it be an unofficial copy of Windows with pre-installed software and pre-set settings? Maybe someone else has access to your device?

In my case I manually blocked the access many years ago on a totally different version of Avast, when nag-screens became unbearable at some point.
I kept it that way ever since just in case.

P.S. as for using individual styling or sizing of your own posts at any place of the internet, for almost everyone else it looks like you're trying to stand out, as if you're better than everyone else and require a special attention. It's your choice of course. But people's psychology works that way. Automatically other people will begin treating you worse (even if subconsciously) if you're trying too hard to be different from everyone else (even if it's not your intention).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 02:34:15 PM by InvisibleMan »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@DavidR

I'm not here to discuss offtopics like font sizes.
My Firefox-font size is well selected. The default font-size of this forum here is in my opinion too small; Avast offers the option to change it, and I use it.
And every future reader of this thread with the same problem of uncomfortable reading will be happy.

You may not be here to discuss off-topics, someone else was offering polite response on your choice of font size. Yet you threw it back in his face with an even larger font size.

But by your changing the font size within a topic everyone else who doesn't require it has large fonts in their viewing of the post, yet all others are fine.

I offered you an easy option to increase the viewed size of fonts, yet you choose to ignore it to the detriment of others viewing this topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline InvisibleMan

Ironically, it's less comfortable for me to read your bigger font, because normal fonts are just perfect on my monitor, and it takes longer to read due to less characters fitting into my view, and I'm a fast reader normally.

You changing it for everyone (instead of changing it only on your device for yourself) is quite inconsiderate of others. (Are you only thinking about yourself?)

Offline SILENT-da

Could your Windows be adjusted by someone else before? Like a person who installed Windows on your device in the first place, or could it be an unofficial copy of Windows with pre-installed software and pre-set settings? Maybe someone else has access to your device?
In my case I manually blocked the access many years ago on a totally different version of Avast, when nag-screens became unbearable at some point.
I kept it that way ever since just in case.

OT: "Nice to see the forum here supports relative html font sizes, too (how it should be); tried it, works, will keep it."

Thank you for the questions.
My Windows is original and i installed it myself from ground up. Noone else had or has access to it.

1) I'm using an alternative update manager for Win.
Question: Does Avast work with Win-Updates together (with rpc) in any way?

2) I'm using 'silent-mode' of Avast constantly. In fact, i never tried to set it to regular-mode to see, if it stops logging all 3 seconds.
Did you already tried this, or, are you using Avast in regular-mode and had the problem nevertheless?

3) How did/do you block Avast from nagging you?
Maybe explaining it might show me a way to find the problem on my system.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 09:15:18 AM by SILENT-da »