Author Topic: Avast Free Antivirus and Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit incompatibility ?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Alexbve

Dear Sirs: On May 26th, a friend reported that the PC with Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit started to react extremely slow, typed letters appeared 7 seconds after, 30 seconds to open a windows, almost unusable.
Uninstalled some applications using Secure mode, same results. Uninstalled Avast Free Edition, and after reset, the PC recovered, again fast.
Installed the Avast Free downloaded days ago, and after reset, again very slow as before. Uninstalled again Avast and them fast.
Another friend used the same downloaded file to install in the PC (Windows 10 x64), without problems.
Maybe the last version and automatic updates have a new incompatibility with Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit ? It's still supported ?
We had to install another antivirus brand as a 30 day trial to stay protected until we resolve with Avast. Hope to return to Avast. Thanks in advance

Offline EdAgee

Re: Avast Free Antivirus and Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit incompatibility ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 03:47:31 AM »
You didn't happen to look at and copy anything in the Event Viewer, did you? Just a quick thought, because when I have weirdness on any of my units that is one of the first places I go to see if any entries on/in one of those logs could be helpful.

Offline Alexbve

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 04:19:55 AM »
 I read the logs but the events observed weren't related with the slowness or Avast. Thanks!

Offline EdAgee

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 04:48:52 AM »
I don't have a GodMode folder set up on this unit for a quick reference, but it seems there should be a log that can help, even if it is only hints at this-or-that.

Anyway, I am sure somebody will come along with good advice. I think I used to have a better memory for all those logs, but my brain has been sort of hit with some chemicals for you-know-what and so things aren't as they used to be. A relapse is a nasty bit of business. And not being able to remember things takes some getting used to. But still being with the living helps a whole bunch.

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 06:07:04 AM »
Dear Sirs: On May 26th, a friend reported that the PC with Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit started to react extremely slow, typed letters appeared 7 seconds after, 30 seconds to open a windows, almost unusable.
Uninstalled some applications using Secure mode, same results. Uninstalled Avast Free Edition, and after reset, the PC recovered, again fast.
Installed the Avast Free downloaded days ago, and after reset, again very slow as before. Uninstalled again Avast and them fast.
Another friend used the same downloaded file to install in the PC (Windows 10 x64), without problems.
Maybe the last version and automatic updates have a new incompatibility with Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit ? It's still supported ?
We had to install another antivirus brand as a 30 day trial to stay protected until we resolve with Avast. Hope to return to Avast. Thanks in advance
Try to install Avast Free, changing its default components it tries to install. There are A LOT of really unnecessary ones, which can increase a chance of such an issue like yours. For example, Behavior Shield often caused problems for different people in the past.

I recommend only the most necessary components: Web Shield and File Shield. Everything else isn't necessary for a good enough protection. (Not even a Mail Shield, since everything you download would still be stopped by your File Shield or even Web Shield before even downloading)

(In addition, after installation and first reboot I could also recommend going to the Core Shields settings in Avast and disabling a a hidden shield Anti-Rootkit, and maybe even disabling a Hardened mode of protection).

That's the setup I've been using it for many years and proved to work great. (If you need Firewall, better stick to Windows Firewall, too).

Let me know if that solves your issue.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 06:09:26 AM by InvisibleMan »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 11:15:26 AM »

Hi,

Did you have any other antivirus installed (before you uninstalled Avast)? https://support.avast.com/article/Uninstall-other-antivirus/

Offline Alexbve

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 03:50:38 PM »
Try to install Avast Free, changing its default components it tries to install. There are A LOT of really unnecessary ones, which can increase a chance of such an issue like yours. For example, Behavior Shield often caused problems for different people in the past.

I recommend only the most necessary components: Web Shield and File Shield. Everything else isn't necessary for a good enough protection. (Not even a Mail Shield, since everything you download would still be stopped by your File Shield or even Web Shield before even downloading)

(In addition, after installation and first reboot I could also recommend going to the Core Shields settings in Avast and disabling a a hidden shield Anti-Rootkit, and maybe even disabling a Hardened mode of protection).

That's the setup I've been using it for many years and proved to work great. (If you need Firewall, better stick to Windows Firewall, too).

Let me know if that solves your issue.

Dear InvisibleMan ; Thanks for the advice. I tried to install only the minimum components Web Shield and File Shield, excluding the rest, and the problem repeated again

Offline Alexbve

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 03:54:47 PM »

Hi,

Did you have any other antivirus installed (before you uninstalled Avast)? https://support.avast.com/article/Uninstall-other-antivirus/

Dear r@vast : As long as I know, there was not another antivirus before.
I will try to build a virtual machine, with the same Win 8.1 Pro 32 bit, and do a fresh install of Avast Free Antivirus, and see if the problem repeats. If not, maybe a leftover of any other software could be causing this, and will report here the results. Thanks

Offline Alexbve

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 02:34:02 AM »
As promised, here are the results of the test: Two virtual machines were built using VirtualBox:

Virtual machine 1: Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit: After installing Avast free and rebooting, the machine was extremely slow, unusable, have to power off the virtual machine

Virtual machine 2: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit: After installing Avast free and rebooting, the machine was fast

Seems that the problem occurs when using the last Avast free (around mid May) with Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit, so take care with that Windows  version

Thanks to all for the suggestions

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 10:30:31 AM »
Update to the latest version (22.5): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=319760.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pregep

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 03:47:29 PM »
I've created account just to confirm there is a problem with Win8.1 Pro 32bit and Avast Free Antivirus 22.4.6011 (build 22.4.7175), also problem exist on the latest Avast Free Antivirus 22.5.6015 (build 22.5.7263). So far total of 6 computers with issues here, not mine but computers from people I know.

As OP already mentioned after updating to Avast Free Antivirus 22.4.6011 (build 22.4.7175) in most cases Windows freezes either while loging (with user account pic shown) or right after displaying desktop.

Saw this issue on Win8.1 Pro 32bit first time on one desktop PC on May 23, 2nd case on May 24, 3rd May 25, 4th case on May 28, 5th case on May 29 on my wifes brother PC...  All of these PCs were facing issues after updating from Avast Free Antivirus 22.3.6008 (build 22.3.7108) to Avast Free Antivirus 22.4.6011 (build 22.4.7175).

6th case... Yesterday friend of mine called about some issues he has with his laser printer, got the access to his computer via TeamViewer and so he also uses Win8.1 Pro 32bit on his old laptop, also using Avast Free:   Avast Free Antivirus 22.3.6008 (build 22.3.7108)  ...so I've asked him if I can try something (to update to the latest Avast 22.5.6015), he let me to it, after update process Avast asked to restart Windows but after restart Windows hangs while loging, right after showing desktop.

On all above PCs had to boot Windows into Safe Mode, then wiped Avast using Avast Clear 22.5.7263, after that Win8.1 Pro 32bit booted without problem. As a workaround, so that they have some kind of anti-virus protestion, on all these PCs I've installed Kaspersky Free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 04:07:28 PM »
Hi guys, I forwarded it, let's see...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pregep

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2022, 10:31:16 AM »
I've took the laptop with Windows 8.1 Pro 32bit from my friend, that one I was talking about in post #10 here, 6th case with issue between Win8.1 Pro 32bit and latest Avast Free. Left it as it is, unable to boot Windows 8.1 Pro 32bit after upgrading from Avast Free Antivirus 22.3.6008 (build 22.3.7108) to Avast Free Antivirus 22.5.6015 (build 22.5.7263). Avast Free Antivirus 22.5.6015 (build 22.5.7263) is still installed, intact.

On that one laptop I've booted into Windows using Safe Mode with Networking, using Avast Support Tool I've created support file and submited that one, File ID: 4C8V2

I've also uploaded support file to my Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxlta02dzperta1/20220603_0805_4C8V2_3971712550.zip?dl=0

I'll deleted that support ZIP file from my Dropbox on Sunday -> edit: I'll delete support ZIP file later today, just to be on the safe side.

Is there anything more I can do to help let me know. Laptop from my friend will be here in my hands for few more hours, after that I need to return it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 02:32:23 PM by Pregep »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2022, 02:18:42 PM »
On that one laptop I've booted into Windows using Safe Mode with Networking, using Avast Support Tool I've created support file and submited that one, File ID: 4C8V2
Thanks for the support file, I forwarded it.

Offline PDI

• Avast team
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2022, 03:20:37 PM »
Hi Alexbve and Pregep,

we found one issue which may be behind this. We need to test it and I'm afraid that we won't be able to release the fix until Monday.

The same issue maybe be seen even on the W8 x86 systems. We'd probably release the fix via uUpdate for the latest AV 22.5 which was released last week. The discussion will be held if we backport it into 22.4 as well.

Sorry for inconveniences,
PDI