Author Topic: Does Avast upload scanned files for themselves?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Does Avast upload scanned files for themselves?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 03:33:35 PM »
Cloud backup is - quite obviously - a specific solution that needs to upload files somewhere... otherwise it wouldn't be much of a backup.

The original question was about an antivirus (scanning). Uploading the content of every scanned file (anywhere) would be terribly slow and expensive - so that certainly doesn't happen. The following can happen:
1. To query a file reputation or classification, Avast may compute some kind of short description of the scanned file (such as a hash, information about the digital signature etc.) and ask Avast servers to see what we know about that file. It's certainly not the full content, and it certainly doesn't happen e.g. for every file during the full disk scan - again, that would be very slow.
2. If the scanner heuristics decides that a scanned file is somehow suspicious but it's not clear whether it's malicious or not, the file content can be uploaded for additional Virus Lab investigation - either as part of the CyberCapture feature, on program execution (see the Core Shields section in settings), or as a "suspicious file submit" during various scans if the "Community IQ" is enabled (see the first option on Personal Privacy page in settings). It's also not a common issue and the file has to be somehow rare/strange.

Offline EdAgee

Re: Does Avast upload scanned files for themselves?
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 07:59:16 AM »
@EdAgee,
I'd like to know what your agenda is ...

If you are sincere in asking me what my agenda is, I will be very willing to answer you.

Just say the word and I'll post my answer in General Topics so as not to be bothering the author of this thread with matters not related to the questions asked in the opening post.

By the way, sir, I have not posted disrespectful language at you in any post in this Online Community, so if you would be polite and reciprocate, that would be appreciated. Thank you for giving that some thought.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 08:01:16 AM by EdAgee »