Author Topic: STOP ASKING TO INSTALL GOOGLE CHROME BROWSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Grizzly_UK

STOP ASKING TO INSTALL GOOGLE CHROME BROWSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 22, 2022, 11:36:08 PM »
I am sick and tired of your software asking to install Google Chrome Browser EVERY time I have to update your software! I say NO, but apparently that's not enough! So now I'm going to post here to make it as clear as possible:

I DO NOT WANT GOOGLE CHROME BROWSER INSTALLED ON MY SYSTEM, SO STOP ASKING TO INSTALL IT!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: STOP ASKING TO INSTALL GOOGLE CHROME BROWSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 11:39:14 PM »
I hope that made you feel better.
A full explanation of the problem might get you more help.
A screenshot of the request may also be helpful.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 12:08:19 AM »
Well I don't know what you are talking about, hopefully as bob 3160 asks more details would help.

I don't like Chrome, but I have never been pestered to install it and I used the Avast Secure Browser (Chromium based) for a short time and went back to my default browser, Firefox and I haven't been pestered to install that either.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Grizzly_UK

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 01:06:14 AM »
You don't know or understand what I'm talking about? OK, I'll play along!

Every single time I have to allow avast to restart my computer due to an update, as soon as my sytem has restarted and I have logged back into Windows an avast window will pop up informing me that avast is now updated to the latest, greatest version. At the bottom of that window is a tiny little notice asking permission to install Google Chrome. The check box is even pre-selected, so if I didn't notice it and deselect it then Google Chrome would be installed! That happens EVERY SINGLE TIME there's an update to avast and I have to restart my system so yes, I'm annoyed at having to deselect that "option" every time avast restarts my system so that I can prevent Google Chrome being installed!

No, I don't have a screenshot of that window that pops up, but I'll certainly try to remember to take a screenshot the next time I have to restart my system due to an avast update! Obviously I have no clue as to how long you'll have to wait to be able to see that screenshot, but I'm pretty sure it's likely to be sometime next month so hopefully you won't have to wait too long! That is of course, unless avast takes notice and actually stops adding that "option" to the bottom of the succesful update notice!

Is that a clear and detailed enough explanation or do you need more information and/or details?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 01:29:26 AM »
Well I hadn't updated to the latest version 22.1.xxxx, I was in no rush but I did a program update to 22.1.2504 (build 22.1.6921.709) and I saw no mention of Chrome or any pre-checked box.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Grizzly_UK

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 05:41:28 PM »
Apologies for the late reply, but I was unable to grab a screenshot that showed exactly what I meant until the last two Avast updates (22.4 at the end of April and 22.5 today).

Now, the 22.4 update didn't actually ask to install Google Chrome, instead it asked to install Avast Secure Browser in exactly the same way that it had previously done with Google Chrome. You can see it very clearly in the first attached image "Avast 22.4 update complete.jpg".

So I wanted to wait to see what happened the next time Avast updated. Finally got the 22.5 update today and, after restarting my system to complete the update I got the "Install Google Chrome" at the bottom of the "We've updated your Avast Free Antivirus" notice! It's very clear to see in the second attached image "Avast 22.5 update complete.jpg".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 06:30:01 PM »
Well that is strange, I hadn't had this previously, but I have also been holding back on the latest updates.  If I don't see anything on the change log, new function or fix that doesn't impact me I wait a while.

Currently I'm still on 22.2 (latest version is 22.5), so that may be why, however I had been having an issue with Firefox and a website I use a lot, so I had to install Chrome.  It is now resolved I'm back with Firefox, however I left Chrome as a backup not a default.  So I shouldn't get this notification.

I'm totally against pre-checked options, no problem having an offer that a user can ignore or select.  Unfortunately many users (unlike yourself), just click OK without checking and scream blue murder that Avast has installed Chrome without their permission.

What I do find strange is why offering ASB (a chromium based browser) in one screen and in another Chrome.

Which is just another reason why I'm against pre-checked options, people just click OK.

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 08:05:27 PM »
I got tired of such prompts from various applications, and since in rare occasions some sites behave properly only in Chrome (needed twice a year at most), I solved my problem by installing Chrome once and then finding via Google search information how to disable automatic services of Chrome, including its auto-update, so it would just live quietly on my computer, not bothering me.

This way, now I don't get any such prompts from applications that see Chrome already being installed and don't offer it XD

Offline Grizzly_UK

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 10:33:59 PM »
Well that is strange, I hadn't had this previously, but I have also been holding back on the latest updates.  If I don't see anything on the change log, new function or fix that doesn't impact me I wait a while.

Currently I'm still on 22.2 (latest version is 22.5), so that may be why, however I had been having an issue with Firefox and a website I use a lot, so I had to install Chrome.  It is now resolved I'm back with Firefox, however I left Chrome as a backup not a default.  So I shouldn't get this notification.

I'm totally against pre-checked options, no problem having an offer that a user can ignore or select.  Unfortunately many users (unlike yourself), just click OK without checking and scream blue murder that Avast has installed Chrome without their permission.

What I do find strange is why offering ASB (a chromium based browser) in one screen and in another Chrome.

Which is just another reason why I'm against pre-checked options, people just click OK.

I have no problem with Avast advertising their products, or advertising relevant software from other companies. Adverts can be ignored, dismissed or whatever you choose, but I absolutely do not like this sort of pre-selected "options" that are specifically designed to fool the user into simply clicking on the "OK" button without realising what's going to happen. It's underhanded, sneaky, devious etc, but it also erodes user trust in the company!

We should be able to fully trust the software we choose to protect our systems, but when we can no longer trust the software to protect us it also means that we can no longer trust the company that created the software! Avast have shown that they are no longer a company to trust and that brings doubt about whether their software can be trusted to protect our systems!

I used to recommend Avast to anyone and everyone, but I've now stopped recommending Avast to anyone, primarily because of this "tactic" to sneak install software onto users systems. Now I advise people to either avoid Avast or use with caution, to check and double-check everything the software wants to do and absolutely make sure you read everything before you click on any "OK" button!

But at least I've finally been able to show exactly what my initial complaint was actually about, and everyone can now see the screenshots that prove my complaint is valid!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 11:20:01 PM »

@ Grizzly_UK
Complaining about the offering of additional software
when you install the free version of any product is something
you need to expect. You aren't paying for the product so, for that
product to try making some money in another way is to be expected.
You do have the choice and the ability to refuse installing the other product(s)
I would prefer if installing that other product were not pre-checked
but again, I'm getting a quality product and I'm not paying for it.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 10:58:04 AM »
i.e. Always read the smallprint.

Offline Grizzly_UK

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 10:42:16 PM »

@ Grizzly_UK
Complaining about the offering of additional software
when you install the free version of any product is something
you need to expect. You aren't paying for the product so, for that
product to try making some money in another way is to be expected.
You do have the choice and the ability to refuse installing the other product(s)
I would prefer if installing that other product were not pre-checked
but again, I'm getting a quality product and I'm not paying for it.

Try re-reading my previous post, especially the very first sentence:
I have no problem with Avast advertising their products, or advertising relevant software from other companies.

I'm complaining about the method Avast has chosen to "offer" browsers. Pre-selected checkboxes, small text, but a large "OK" button which is what many will see first and then click on! As I said, it's underhanded, sneaky, devious etc, etc and, quite frankly, it makes no difference whether it's in a free version or a paid version. Defend their actions all you want, it will never change the fact that this is not acceptable and it should never be acceptable! Avast may be delivering a quality product, but when their marketing is done in this way it simply says that because this is a company that is using this type of "marketing" then this is a company that shound NOT be trusted anymore!

Offline Grizzly_UK

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2022, 10:44:20 PM »
i.e. Always read the smallprint.
Absolutely, always read the small print and always make sure you know exactly what it is you're agreeing to when you click on any "OK" button!