Author Topic: Avast pegging my cpu at 100%, takes forever to load, acts like nothing is wrong  (Read 1117 times)

Offline temporalwolf

Restarting doesn't fix it, I can barely use my computer and yet avast takes a solid 10 minutes to load the dashboard, then when I'm there says I'm protected.

Now it says I need to restart. Hitting Restart Now launches a new Avast process, it says "fixing" and nothing happens. After like 5 minutes of it saying "fixing" it goes back to the "you need to restart screen". I just shutdown/restarted and it still says I need to restart.

What is it doing that is pegging my CPU?
Why does Avast's own ui grind to a halt when it decided to do whatever it is doing?
Why does it now perpetually say I should restart?

And of course: how can I stop it from doing this?

I've had Avast running basically no problems for over two years. In the last two weeks it's suddenly started acting like malware: my CPU spikes for no discernable reason, Avast doesn't tell me what it is doing, doesn't ask to do anything, but I know it's happening because my computer gets very sluggish, and opening task manager shows Avast Service tanking my CPU.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 12:02:12 AM by temporalwolf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
What Avast Program and version number are you using.

You could try an Avast Repair when you get into the program - AvastUI > Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > APP Repair - Restart after completion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline temporalwolf

Apologies, for whatever reason Avast Service is at 30%, and yet the Avast UI can barely load. Right clicking on the system tray icon, it takes almost a minute for the menu to load (only for avast, everything else seems fine).

Avast Free
22.4.6011 (build 22.4.7175.726)
UI 1.0.704

And I ran the repair tool, and after locking up for around 30 seconds, it took forever to load before putting me right back where I started. I'll try restarting again to see if perhaps it's changes require a restart.

Offline temporalwolf

Apparently the repair did it's job: restarting this time (unlike the last 3 times) caused avast to update, and it's no longer constantly slamming my cpu, nor causing the avast UI to take forever to respond.

So fixed via updating to 22.5.6015 (build 22.5.7263.726), which it wouldn't do until I used the repair tool.

Thanks for the suggestion

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.

The repair as you found also did an update to the latest avast versions.  This could have been the reason for the additional reboot requirement.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security