Author Topic: Thunderbird / Gmail broken by Email Shield  (Read 6329 times)

Offline cdpmail2

Re: Thunderbird / Gmail broken by Email Shield
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 02:25:46 AM »
Success!

This does appear to have fixed the problem. A few notes for you:

1) I was not able to import the certificate directly the way you described. I got an error from Thunderbird that the certificate was already installed. So, I deleted it and then imported it. I suspect the certificate was actually ok already and the import was not necessary. But, I could be wrong, because now I can't re-create the original state to test that theory, because:

2) The support document you referenced describing the certificate import process contained an important additional step to look for Server certificates. The window did not look exactly as shown in the article. In the Servers tab of the Certificate Manager, Thunderbird does not identify the certificates visibly as belonging to Avast Web/Mail Shield. However, it did list both imap.gmail.com and imap.googlemail.com certificates. When I "viewed" these certificates I could see that they were created by Avast, but had a validity date that expired in 2019. After I deleted these certificates, and re-enabled Email Guardian, Thunderbird worked correctly. Yay! There was no need to reboot Windows as described in your instructions.

I am left with the question as to why the legacy Avast Antivirus did not have the same problem. If these certificates were present with an expiration date in 2019, shouldn't that have caused a similar problem due to the certificates being expired?

Anyway, it works now. I think you need to modify the Avast ONE install process to find and delete these old Thunderbird certificates. Or, if that can't be done, leave a conspicuous instruction for the user to find and delete them manually. Also, they should be removed by avastclear.exe.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Thunderbird / Gmail broken by Email Shield
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 03:40:11 PM »
Thank you for the update.