Author Topic: Avast version 22.5 is slow and high cpu usage when displaying the GUI.  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Bowdon

I was asked to start a new thread if I had tried to repair the problem. I did and rebooted. But it didn't work.

Here is my systam info;

Avast Version: Free version 22.5.6015- build 22.5.7263.738
I have the free version of malwarebytes installed. But to only started manually.

When I updated to the latest version two strange things happened.

1. Once it rebooted I noticed malwarebytes was running. It shouldn't do that as I have it set to manual loading.

2. Once it rebooted a Windows Network message appeared and asked if I wanted this computer to be discoverable on the network.

My main issue is that Avast is running slow. It takes over 30 seconds to open up the GUI. It uses a lot of CPU power to do this. When I click to the Update menu, the virus definition part takes around 41 seconds of me counting before it appears.

I suspect its something to do with excessive CPU usage as normally the Avast Service is going up and down from 1.4% when not in use. But to 85% by just loading up the Avast GUI. It sets my CPU to 100% over all.

So what is going on? I didn't have this issue with the last version.

Offline Bowdon

It's Murphy's law that whenever I post I soon after find the solution  :)

I managed to fix the problem by going to the Control Panel, then Programs and Features, finding Avast and selecting Uninstall.

It then loads up the menu to uninstall, modify and a few other options. I chose modify and unticked most of the boxes, as I'm sure I didnt have all those previously selected.

I did a reboot of the PC and now no high cpu and the gui opens immediately.

Offline Bowdon

Ok,

It's high CPU usage again.

Does anyone have a link to clean uninstall it and I'll try reinstalling?

Offline Bowdon

Ok,

It's high CPU usage again.

Does anyone have a link to clean uninstall it and I'll try reinstalling?

Ok, found the link. Uninstall. Then reinstalled and so far the CPU % for the Avast Service as kept until 11%.

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
I reported very sluggish system performance in the thread announcing Avast 22.5.  tThe affected system is a Toshiba Satellite Pro P200 with 1.83GHz Core Duo T5550 processor and 4GB RAM. I am using other Window 10 64bit 21H2 systems without the issue being apparent. I haven't a clue what the cause of the problem is.

Maybe the developers will put some effort into identifying the cause now that at least two of us have reported a performance problem.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 11:43:12 PM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline Bowdon

Have you tried uninstalling it, and then when you reinstall it select custom setting and then in to drop down menu select minimal?

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
I have uninstalled it using both the inbuilt uninstaller and the latest uninstall tool avastclear.exe.  I have installed using updating from 22.4, the online installer and the offline 22.5 installer.  Whatever uninstaller and installer I have used is to no avail.

I also use Windows 7 64bit (NOT FOR ONLINE BANKING OR OTHER PRIVACY SENSITIVE USES) and experienced issues with Avast of whatever version affecting logging in and out of Windows 7.  This drove me to using Panda Dome Free 21.01.00 on Windows 7 which works without fault.  I also support several Windows 10 21H2 systems belong to friends and relatives.  One has a problem with startups and shutdowns and will only behave satifactorily with Avast 21.5.  In the past, I could rely on Avast not to cause problems for users but not any more it seems.

You can submit performance information to Avast which might assist a diagnosis.  Use the following link to see how:-
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=237567.0
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:35:10 PM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
The issue continues with Avast 22.6. Just because it does not manifest itself with faster devices does not mean that it does not exist. This morning I noticed prolonged activity with an Avast bug report being generated, I know not what about. In spite of that, Avast 22.4 continues to work acceptably on this museum piece laptop.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Problem of resource hogging on startup seems similar to my experience posted here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=320067.0
See no improvement with latest 22.6 Free.