Author Topic: Hardware assisted virtualization re-enabled after update, checkbox still off  (Read 1509 times)

Offline morpheous

Hello, something i just experienced, not sure if this is a bug or what.

I do not know what the previous version of Avast i had was, but it just updated to 22.5.6015.

I use Bluestacks to play some mobile games, and is uses virtualization. Avast's virtualization setting interferes with Bluestacks starting, so to get around that you uncheck the "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization" in Avast and Bluestacks then runs fine. This was something I had done awhile ago, so before the update the checkbox was unchecked, and Bluestacks was running fine.

Then Avast updated, and suddenly Bluestacks would not start. I double checked in Avast to see if that checkbox had been re-enabled or something, but it showed as unchecked still. Uninstalled and reinstalled Bluestacks, tried everything, but I could no longer get it to start. Lots of googling later, still had no solution and was about to give up. Then just as a last try, i went back into Avast and RE-checked the box, so in theory re-enabling the hardware-assisted virtualization that previously had prevented Bluestacks from running. After restarting, Bluestacks runs again, even though in Avast the checkbox is checked and previously it would not have run with that checked.

I went back in and once again unchecked the box to see what would happen, restarted, and Avast still showed it as unchecked and Bluestacks started up fine. This indicates to me that somehow when Avast updated, the virtualization was turned back ON in the background, but the UI did not get updated to this fact and still showed it as OFF. Caused a few days of headaches until I figured this out.

Edit: Spoke too soon, Bluestacks is crashing again or failing to launch on 2 computers, both had the above issue. I uninstalled avast on one of them and Bluestacks is back to happily running again and a bit faster than before. I have seen previous threads about avast and virtual machines such as VirtualBox, Avast seem to just not play nicely with anything that uses virtualization...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 10:31:50 PM by dan.morpheous »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Hi,

Could you please try Beta version 22.6 and see if it helps? https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=319794.0

Offline morpheous

I followed your link, downloaded and installed, version is reported as 22.6.6017

This did not help, Bluestacks still fails to load.

If it helps, when Bluestacks is attempting to start, it gets part way, then sits there, the process sits at using 50% of the cpu. I have to manually kill the process to close it.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Hi,

Could you provide a support file ID, please? https://support.avast.com/article/Submit-support-file

Offline jproch

I can confirm the issue! I had "HW assisted virtualization" disabled because it crashes my Linux VirtualBox VM machine on Windows 7 pro host. Suddenly the blowup was back.  Avast "HW assisted virtualization" check box not checked. Checked it, restart, unchecked it, restart and VM works again. Thank you Morpheous for saving me a lot of time and wrinkles  :)