Author Topic: AvastUI eats up memory and writes RPC call fail in the log  (Read 1694 times)

Offline InvisibleMan

AvastUI eats up memory and writes RPC call fail in the log
« on: June 23, 2022, 08:28:43 AM »
Can anyone on the Avast Developer team help me with this?

I have Windows 7 SP1 and Avast Free Antivirus v21.8.2487

AvastUI.log keeps getting these written every three seconds!

And also I noticed that because of it one of AvastUI.exe processes keeps eating up memory which over time adds up to big amounts, which only gets freed temporarily if I open AvastUI window and close it again. But it begins to slowly eat up memory again after that.

What is this thing?

Code: [Select]
[2022-06-23 06:12:26.714] [notice ] [swhealth_ui] [ 5328: 7000] asw::swu_ui::SoftwareHealthScanner::Initialize
[2022-06-23 06:12:26.714] [info   ] [swhealth_ui] [ 5328: 7000] Connecting service controller
[2022-06-23 06:12:26.714] [warning] [swhealth_ui] [ 5328: 7000] Failed to initialize:   Rpc call failed
                                                                   SoftHealth_State failed (1753)

It seems like it has something to do with Health check and inability to initialize its service.

I made sure that AvastUI isn't blocked anywhere in Firewall, but this keeps happening anyway. I'm connected to internet so it shouldn't be an issue.
Also, I checked that "Remote Procedure Call" service does work.

Could you tell me, if some specific ports are necessary to be open for this thing to work properly? In case I have some ports blocked globally without realizing it.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: AvastUI eats up memory and writes RPC call fail in the log
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 11:21:01 AM »
Can anyone on the Avast Developer team help me with this?

I have Windows 7 SP1 and Avast Free Antivirus v21.8.2487

AvastUI.log keeps getting these written every three seconds!

And also I noticed that because of it one of AvastUI.exe processes keeps eating up memory which over time adds up to considerable amounts, which only gets freed temporarily if I open AvastUI window and close it again. But it begins to slowly eat up memory again after that.

What is this thing?

Code: [Select]
[2022-06-23 06:12:26.714] [notice ] [swhealth_ui] [ 5328: 7000] asw::swu_ui::SoftwareHealthScanner::Initialize
[2022-06-23 06:12:26.714] [info   ] [swhealth_ui] [ 5328: 7000] Connecting service controller
[2022-06-23 06:12:26.714] [warning] [swhealth_ui] [ 5328: 7000] Failed to initialize:   Rpc call failed
                                                                   SoftHealth_State failed (1753)

It seems like it has something to do with Health check and inability to initialize its service.

I made sure that AvastUI isn't blocked anywhere in Firewall, but this keeps happening anyway. I'm connected to internet so it shouldn't be an issue.
Also, I checked that "Remote Procedure Call" service does work.

Could you tell me, if some specific ports are necessary to be open for this thing to work properly? In case I have some ports blocked globally without realizing it.

Hi,

Please update to the latest version and if the issue persists, provide a support file ID, and we can look into it.
https://support.avast.com/article/Submit-support-file

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 04:03:08 PM »
Hi,

Please update to the latest version and if the issue persists, provide a support file ID, and we can look into it.
https://support.avast.com/article/Submit-support-file
I see.

Though I simply wanted to know what exactly could cause it, since the log clearly has information which should be familiar to the developers, as I assumed.  And I thought I could get at least some pointers about what it could be.

So I could try to solve it myself. :) Unless it's just an issue this version of the program is known for (then it's fine).

I can't update the program because I keep reading about every single new version since that one how many new bugs or issues (especially for old systems like my Windows 7 SP1) get introduced to the program. And I don't want to deal with new issues.

I even had to turn off both Emergency update and Overseer in the Task Scheduler a few weeks ago, because it wouldn't stop bothering me reapplying the same exact update (judging by the logs) and the program then showed I had to reboot my PC.

I know it's my own fault (so to speak) to keep using Windows 7, but that's my choice.

If this issue can't be pin-pointed without sending a full report, then I'll have to just live with it and once a weak open a program's window so the memory leak resets itself.

It's just this particular version of Avast is the most stable one (on my computer) I had for the past 12 months or so, and I don't feel like experimenting again just to be forced to clean remove everything and install this old verison once again, wasting my time...

Besides, I'm sure that all the developers of Avast don't focus on the testing of the new versions of Avast for OS like Windows 7. That's to be expected, considering the OS is considered outdated (even if it has its strong sides and still can be used effectively, depending on the user).
So it's unlikely that Avast will be working better with more updates in the future. It's actually more likely Avast will be working worse for outdated OS, and support them less and less.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 04:10:33 PM by InvisibleMan »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 06:15:23 PM »
Besides, I'm sure that all the developers of Avast don't focus on the testing of the new versions of Avast for OS like Windows 7. That's to be expected, considering the OS is considered outdated (even if it has its strong sides and still can be used effectively, depending on the user). So it's unlikely that Avast will be working better with more updates in the future. It's actually more likely Avast will be working worse for outdated OS, and support them less and less.
Well, I'm sure the devs would fix it, if it's an issue in the latest build(s), but don't expect support for outdated Avast versions.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 08:37:29 PM »
Interestingly I have just responded to another post about multiple AvastUI.exe entries.
There are 5 AvastUI related in the Task manager, but just look at the resource use, negligible.  See attached image,

A problem with old OSes and versions of Avast, something I lived with with Win XP and Avast 18.5 for a long time. 

Eventually I experienced a problem with my XP system that I couldn't devote the time to fault find, replace the faulty component video card or monitor.  For me the time and spending money on an old system would be better spent on a new system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 11:20:33 PM »
Well, I'm sure the devs would fix it, if it's an issue in the latest build(s), but don't expect support for outdated Avast versions.
I understand that. :)

I only hoped that a quick glance at that log could allow them to say in short what should I look into, if it's a familiar log entry to them. Apparently it's not.

So not a big deal, as it's possible to just open and close an Avast window once a week to release the consumed memory.

There are 5 AvastUI related in the Task manager, but just look at the resource use, negligible.
Yes, I have four such processes always. And normally they don't consume much resources either.

Eventually I experienced a problem with my XP system that I couldn't devote the time to fault find, replace the faulty component video card or monitor.  For me the time and spending money on an old system would be better spent on a new system.
I tried to keep Windows XP for a long time, but when Windows 7 SP1 got released I realized it's time to switch. And I was right to skip Vista.

Windows 7 is another long-living OS, that is still not too oudated (if you don't take into account super modern games, which I'm not interested in).

In fact Win 7 is very easy to control (disable anything like telemtry and other reports to Microsoft) and easy to disable updates. It guarantees that OS is always as I want it to be, stable. If I needed to install some specific important update I could control it. And the fact it doesn't receive active support from Microsoft doesn't mean I get too much vulnerable (as I do extra things, like blocking vulnerable to attacks system files both in group policies and firewall so that my OS still works as I need it, but those files can't be used to take control of my OS or to infect it).

It's not time yet to switch to any newer Windows for me, because it wouldn't give me any real advantage, only would require a lot of my time spent on reinstalling everything to a new OS and taking care of multiple compatibility problems for some software, solving issues I don't have just by staying on Windows 7.

Someday I might need to switch to a modern OS, but I feel like Microsoft took away too much control from users by now.

So, my next modern OS will be some Linux distro that would be close in spirit to how Windows 7 feels to me (as I consider it an almost perfect OS ever).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 11:28:31 PM by InvisibleMan »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 02:01:33 AM »
Quote from: InvisibleMan
It's not time yet to switch to any newer Windows for me, because it wouldn't give me any real advantage, only would require a lot of my time spent on reinstalling everything to a new OS and taking care of multiple compatibility problems for some software, solving issues I don't have just by staying on Windows 7.

Someday I might need to switch to a modern OS, but I feel like Microsoft took away too much control from users by now.

That was what kept me on XP for so long, the thought of essentially starting from scratch, however there is software that will essentially move your existing programs, files, emails, settings, etc. etc. to the new OS. Some are free but limited, but you aren't starting completely from scratch.  I'm looking at a paid program (one year license), one that will switch everything. 

How they do that for different OSes is beyond me and the cost compared to the time consuming hassle of starting from scratch I think is worth it.

My laptop is getting a little long in the tooth, but still sound for what I require.  My last switch was prompted by a component failure video card or monitor, couldn't be done with the hassle finding the issue and replacing so I had a 10" Win 7 netbook that I used whilst waiting a replacement.  I don't fancy being prompted to upgrade by another computer problem :).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security