Author Topic: I have a question about how Avast handles Exceptions  (Read 2237 times)

Offline 7IiPO8a

I have a question about how Avast handles Exceptions
« on: June 25, 2022, 05:15:48 PM »
Does Avast's Exceptions have a wildcard feature? If so, how does it work?

I need Avast to exclude some files who's middle characters are the same, but the prefixes and suffixes are different.
I have a file located in "C:\Users\<User>\Downloads\". This file is responsible for updating some software I have. Every time there's an update, I need to redownload the installer from the website and my browser stores the file with a prefix "_#" (#=number) if there are any similar named files in the same folder. So the installers I download would go up in increments of 1 every time I download the file. It would be a huge hassle to add the file over and over again in the exceptions window. So this is what I did. I added an except with the folder path of "C:\Users\<User>\Downloads\*updater*.exe" The '*' is the wildcard I'm trying to use. It should tell Avast "The file is located in the Downloads folder, the file could contain anything infront of 'updater' and anything behind 'updater'. Any file fits this description, unblock it." But when I tested it, it didn't work. Avast still took then file and put it in the quarantine area.

Can someone properly explain to me how wildcards work in Avast? And maybe also include some other syntax features that would be good to know.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline 7IiPO8a

Re: I have a question about how Avast handles Exceptions
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 06:12:24 PM »
I know the risks, and I'm taking them. Do you know how wildcards work?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline 7IiPO8a

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 06:46:25 PM »
Sorry but, this didnt answer my question. I know how to add an exception. I'm trying to figure out how to use wildcards in the exception. Or in other words, how do wildcards work in Avast, and what they can and cant do. I explained my problem in the post above

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 06:55:24 PM »
Wait for one of the devs and/or submit a ticket: https://support.avast.com/contact (paid versions)

Offline 7IiPO8a

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 07:39:57 PM »
I doubt a dev is going to show up anytime soon. And I have the free version of Avast.
Great..

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 10:44:36 AM »
Hi,

The wildcard is automatically added when excluding a folder. Perhaps it will work if you were to create a new folder for the downloads and exclude that new folder.