Author Topic: Resource Hog  (Read 889 times)

Offline bassman20us

Resource Hog
« on: July 24, 2022, 02:39:05 PM »
Why is Avast such a resource hog? When I open my task manager, there nine (9) different Avast functions running. This is ridiculous, and should be addressed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Resource Hog
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 04:43:44 PM »
The number of processes doesn't necessarily mean it's a resource hog.

A Screenshot might help.

Currently on my task manager window I have 9 and the total resource use is negligible (see my attached screenshots).  For a short period when I opened the task manager there was another (that would have been 10) an Avast bug check function, I can't recall having seen this before.  This was pretty much in line with the last time I did a screenshot a few days ago to respond to another forum post.

However, this had gone by the time I took the screenshot, it was using 12% CPU if memory serves me well.  Overall this was no issue on my system.

Having multiple processes to do a single task is better one task doing many tasks.  It is quite common, just look at your browsers task manager.  My browser is Firefox and this currently has (16 under the main process), but it is only shown as one entry unless you expand it.  The total resource use is way higher by comparison to Avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security