Author Topic: [Linux] Howto automatically update avast virus database ON INTERNET CONNECTION ?  (Read 7651 times)

jdackle

I am using Ubuntu I want to update avast! automatically when I connect to the Internet (NOT at specific times or such).

I currently switch on and off between three diferent connections and three different applications:
ADSL - usbadslmodemmanager
3G - umtsmon
Wireless - network-manager (which does not detect the two other connections)

Hence, I need to know of some script or something that gets run everytime a connection is made, independently of what type and software... If there is such a script...
Then I could just slip in the /usr/bin/avast-update command.  ;)

Or... some other working sollution.   ;D

Any help would be appreciated.  :)

P.s.: I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
I am using Ubuntu I want to update avast! automatically when I connect to the Internet (NOT at specific times or such).

I currently switch on and off between three diferent connections and three different applications:
ADSL - usbadslmodemmanager
3G - umtsmon
Wireless - network-manager (which does not detect the two other connections)

Hence, I need to know of some script or something that gets run everytime a connection is made, independently of what type and software... If there is such a script...
Then I could just slip in the /usr/bin/avast-update command.  ;)

Or... some other working sollution.   ;D

Any help would be appreciated.  :)

P.s.: I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.

hallo,
this depends on what you call "connection". It might be script like "sleep 60; wget ...", fired by ifconfig's "post-up" script, it might be also fired by dhclient/pump/udhcpc post-lease action, etc.

also, naive solutions, like "if last_attempt+21600<now && avast server pings -> wget and set last attempt". basically, avastvpsupdate.pl and avastvpsupdate.sh scripts are usable here too, just don't spawn them too often (each poll will get at least MD5sum from the server).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)