Author Topic: Avast won't update  (Read 4971 times)

MelodyMaker

Avast won't update
« on: December 14, 2007, 08:24:14 PM »
Hi,

I have been using Avast for a long time without any issues. However, during the last week or so it will not update the virus database. It is set up to update automatically. However, the following message appears several minutes after starting the computer:

Information about current update:
Last encountered error: Cannot connect to download959.avast.com (unknown:80).

Total time: 8:03

Naturally, windows is warning me that the software may be out of date. Unlike other postings here it is actually reporting this correctly.
I have tried several things including uninstalling the program and redownloading and installing it again.

Attempting to manually update produces the following message:
Error: Cannot connect to server

Any suggestions?

I use Windows XP Home and IE7.

Many thanks.

MelodyMaker

Re: Avast won't update
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 08:28:52 PM »
By the way, the registration key is valid until March 2009.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:54:21 PM »
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update, this will force the firewall to ask permission again. 

It is possible that your firewall blocks outbound connection until it is fully established comodo firewall does this.

Does this happen shortly after boot ?

If So you could delay the avast update check, edit the avast4.ini file, [InetWD] section, add the following line if it isn't present, AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 (for broadband connections). See example below, the figure is in seconds and you can set your own duration to wait before checking for updates. This allows time for a connection to be fully established.

[InetWD]
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=60

Are you able to do a manual update, right click the avast 'a' icon, select Updating, iAVS Update ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:08:14 PM »
Please, post the last 100-150 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
The best things in life are free.

MelodyMaker

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »
The problem now seems to be resolved since I now have an up to date virus database.

Problem was caused by ZoneAlarm firewall.

Many thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 10:21:43 PM »
The problem now seems to be resolved since I now have an up to date virus database.
Which was the problem?
It's useful to know if we help you correctly, it's useful for other users that could learn...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 10:43:48 PM »

Many thanks for your help.

No problem, welcome to the forums.

I take it that ZA had blocked avast.setup and you allowed it or deleted the entry and had ZA ask again ?

We don't like mysteries either ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MelodyMaker

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 12:00:46 PM »
Hi,

I do apologise for not being more specific. It would be helpful for you to know what happened.

When I looked in the Program Control section of ZoneAlarm, there were five different listings for Avast. It wasn't immediately obvious to me which one was avast.setup at first so I changed the permissions for all of them to a ? so I would be asked next time they tried to access the internet. I did realise which one it was after a short while. It was called "Avast antivirus update". It showed avast.setup in the entry detail information at the bottom of the screen when I'd maximised the window.

It seems that avast.setup had accidentally been denied access at some time and I hadn't thought to check this. When I did check it there was a red cross. I had wrongly assumed it was a problem with Avast's website.

I suppose this is one of the problems that can happen when the whole family have access to the PC.

I have set up two users in Windows XP now. One for my wife and I, and another for the kids. Don't know if this will make a differnece in terms of Zonealarm access but it should protect my important documents from them.

Thank you very much folks. All is now well.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 12:18:32 PM »
I suppose this is one of the problems that can happen when the whole family have access to the PC.
I have the same problem on my side. When I change the firewall or update a program, I try all possible connections to avoid other people to answer no and deny access to a program update. avast.setup is a temporary file that could warn ZoneAlarm much more often and will happen what you've seen.

Glad you have it solved now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 07:08:45 PM »
@ MelodyMaker

Your welcome, glad things are now working fine.