Author Topic: "Waiting for subsystem to start" message in webshield  (Read 7606 times)

mgm10700

"Waiting for subsystem to start" message in webshield
« on: December 14, 2007, 01:45:54 AM »
After and update that automatically re-booted my computer, I got a Windows security message update that my virus protection was off.  When I checked the avast on-access scanner, I found that only 4 of the 6 components were running. 

The outlook/exchange component not working doesn't bother me because I don't use it.  However, the webshield is also not running (it has previously run just fine) - I get a message "waiting for subsystem to start" even when I'm already on the internet.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Waiting for subsystem to start" message in webshield
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 02:13:48 AM »
The waiting for subsystem is for outlook/exchange, no other provider.

The outlook/exchange should be disabled by default unless you have MS Outlook (not express) is installed. So if you haven't got MS Outlook you should Terminate the Outlook/Exchange and answer Yes to the question asked.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mgm10700

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 03:48:19 AM »
I terminated the outlook/exchange component. 

After the update, a Norton antivirus program appeared on my desktop.  I went into add/remove programs and uninstalled it. 

In Task Manager, the following processes were listed:  ashDisp.exe, ashMaiSv.exe, ashServ.exe, ashWebSv.exe, and aswUpdSv.exe.

My firewall is a Windows firewall.  I don't know how to tell if it allows ashWebSv.exe.  Prior to the update (when the problem began), I had the same firewall and WebShield worked. 

Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 01:23:58 PM »
After the update, a Norton antivirus program appeared on my desktop.  I went into add/remove programs and uninstalled it. 
Hmmm...
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get.

My firewall is a Windows firewall.  I don't know how to tell if it allows ashWebSv.exe.
You don't have to... It will ask you automatically when (if) needed. But in this case of WebShield, I don't think it's needed.
The best things in life are free.

mgm10700

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 03:05:07 PM »
Unfortunately, I get the same results - 4 components running. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 03:36:58 PM »
After removing NAV completely it may be necessary to reinstall avast (uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.) as the missing components are likely to have been as a result of having NAV or remnants of it left. avast may have disabled elements of avast to avoid a possible conflict with NAV.

What are the 4 providers (that is what they are called when you hover the mouse pointer over the avast 'a' icon), which are running ?

I only have 4 running but that is by choice rather than accident. I don't use MS Outlook, nor do I use P2P or Instant Messaging applications, so those three providers I have Terminated.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mgm10700

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 12:09:31 AM »
I uninstalled avast and then reinstalled it.  I now have 6 out of 7 components running (Only outlook/exchange is "waiting" and I'm going to terminate that anyway)  Problem solved. 

Thanks for your help! :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 12:35:38 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

If you don't use any P2P or Instant Messaging programs you can Terminate the avast P2P and Instant Messaging providers.

I somewhat surprised you say you have 6 out of 7 'providers' running yet you mention that (Only outlook/exchange is "waiting" and I'm going to terminate that anyway). I would have thought that it would have been terminated already by default (because you don't have MS Outlook) hence the 6 out of 7 'providers' running, so you shouldn't have the waiting for subsystem message ?

If you had 6 out of 7 'providers' running yet the outlook/exchange 'provider' needed to be terminated then there is a provider which isn't running that should be. Double click the avast 'a' icon and click the Details button and report what 'providers' which aren't running, greyed out ?

Welcome to the forums.

mgm10700

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 05:16:26 AM »
None are greyed out.  The outlook/exchange provider states "waiting for subsystem to start."  All of the other providers are running.   I have outlook but I just don't use it.  Should I still terminate it? 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 12:25:05 PM »
Should I still terminate it? 
Well... it won't take resources if it is kept running... But, of course, you can disable all providers that you don't use.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 07:13:20 PM »
None are greyed out.  The outlook/exchange provider states "waiting for subsystem to start."  All of the other providers are running.   I have outlook but I just don't use it.  Should I still terminate it? 

If you don't Terminate the outlook/exchange it will permanently be "waiting for subsystem to start" as it is waiting for MS Outlook to start and you haven't got that. So it isn't a matter of resources as Tech suggests, but an unnecessary provider, which is causing this error and needs Terminating.