Author Topic: Avast Premuim, Cygwin and Ruby  (Read 655 times)

Offline surjit_singh

Avast Premuim, Cygwin and Ruby
« on: July 10, 2022, 11:37:58 PM »
I am using ruby on cygwin on Win 7 happily. Suddenly I get file not found. I thought, looks like I messed up, I will install ruby again.
I run setup for cygwin. It starts, asks the usual questions, when it starts to download, it mysteriously closes.
Wondering what happened, I look for it, the setup file is gone.
Light bulb! Aha, the stupid Avast again, it has happened before with a simple text file, Strike 1.
Sure  enough, the quarantine has ruby and setup in it. Also thousands more. I look at a few, very simple plain text or html files. I don't have the time to look at all of them. If I need them and cannot find them, will come back to the quarantine, they will be here, I hope.
So, I select what I want, click on the three dots, restore, they are restored, thank god for that. I am working again.
I used F-Prot for a decade, never got infected, never had to write on their blog, never had to call their customer support.
Boy, I miss them.
This is Strike 2.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Premuim, Cygwin and Ruby
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 12:41:45 AM »
Surely you would be getting Avast Alert windows if files have been sent to quarantine.

What Avast version and build number are you using  ?
What does the information in quarantine say, e.g. malware name, etc.  ?

When you restore are you restoring with an exception ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security