Author Topic: hypothetical scenario: virus, trojan, &c ==> inoperable mouse  (Read 4722 times)

nweissma

hypothetical scenario: virus, trojan, &c ==> inoperable mouse
« on: December 07, 2007, 04:13:01 AM »
i can't say for certain whether this scenario is even realizable.. to wit: suppose i become infected such that the mouse is rendered inoperable - how can i start a scan to remove the offending software?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: hypothetical scenario: virus, trojan, &c ==> inoperable mouse
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 06:59:20 PM »
Using the keyboard with the ALT key.
Win-E will open Windows Explorer, you can use tab to get to the avast folder and run ashSimp2.exe.
With the keyboard you'll get everything...
The best things in life are free.

nweissma

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:06:52 AM »
Using the keyboard with the ALT key.
Win-E will open Windows Explorer, you can use tab to get to the avast folder and run ashSimp2.exe.
i'm sorry to be a pest, but  i have no idea what you are saying! what does "ALT" have to do with this? what is "Win-E" - is this a key? after ie is open, how do i use tab to access avast folder - i don't see avast on ie?! are you referring to the DOS command window? as an academic interest, what does "ash" and  "Simp2"stand for?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 01:11:54 PM »
What does "ALT" have to do with this?
ALT key, while pressed once shows the 'access-key' and you can navigate using the keyboard, choosing letters for the menus, for instance.

what is "Win-E" - is this a key?
Win is a key on the left side of the keyboard with the Windows symbol.
Win+E is the way to say click these two keys at once (Windows and E keys).

after ie is open, how do i use tab to access avast folder - i don't see avast on ie?!
I do not say IE but Windows Explorer...

are you referring to the DOS command window?
You could use it also if you want.

as an academic interest, what does "ash" and  "Simp2"stand for?
ash is something related to Alwil Software files.
Simp is short form for Simple, the Simple User Interface, the 'skin' of avast antivirus.

nweissma

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 08:03:48 PM »
Win-E will open Windows Explorer, you can use tab to get to the avast folder and run ashSimp2.exe
i'm sorry, i still can't follow you: i don't see how Win+E opens Windows Explorer.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 08:09:54 PM »
Win-E will open Windows Explorer, you can use tab to get to the avast folder and run ashSimp2.exe
i'm sorry, i still can't follow you: i don't see how Win+E opens Windows Explorer.

Hold the win key (It has a oicture of the windows logo on it, it's usually by the control key at the bottom of the keyboard) the press the E key. Windows explorer should open,

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 08:20:29 PM »

Because it is a keyboard shortcut, combining two keys, that is what the + plus sign signified, click both the windows key (abbreviated to Win) and the E (upper-case for emphasis only) together, so Win+E.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nweissma

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 06:56:43 AM »
boy, am i an IDIOT!! i can't believe i missed this! much chagrin! :-[

please regard the attached. i see ashSimpl -  on the rightmost panel. now that my keyboard is set to "Avast4," in the left panel, what keyboard strokes will invoke ashSimpl?

i also see ashSimp2 and ashQuick - these are of no interest to me? academically, what are these?

are there any other files that are relevant?

where can i find a complete listing of keyboard manipulations and shortcuts?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 06:58:25 AM by nweissma »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 07:12:38 AM »
Hi use the tab key to get to the right hand panel.

Down Arrow key will move your cusor down one folder/files at a time. When the file you want is highlighted, in this case ashsimpl, hit enter

So I guess the answer is the "enter key"

ashsimp2 is the skinless version of the simple user interfacs and ashquick is the explorer extention (right click on demand scanner.)

Ashchest.exe will open the chest.

edited to add shortcuts

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 12:40:57 PM »
i also see ashSimp2 and ashQuick - these are of no interest to me? academically, what are these?
ashSimp2.exe is the skinless interface. Try it...
ashQuick.exe is the quick scanner of avast used by Windows Explorer context menu scanning or into Download Managers to scan a particular file.

are there any other files that are relevant?
Sure... test the executables and you'll see...

where can i find a complete listing of keyboard manipulations and shortcuts?
Google... keyboard shortcuts.

nweissma

let me play devil's advocate and take this one step further: suppose i become infected such that BOTH the mouse and the keyboard are rendered inoperable. (has this happened?)

what could i do to start an avast scan?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 02:32:01 AM »
I have never heard of it but if it does:

Go to your upstairs window, open it, disconnect the computer and throw it out ;D

You should 'theoretically' be able to use your keyboard and mouse outside of windows as the virus is unlikely to be operating out side windows.

So you could try a repair install of windows to see if that restored mouse and keyboard function. You could format and reinstall everything.

Seriously we can hypothetically talk about all sorts of things that are unlikely to happen until we are old and grey. But, it won't make up for having a back-up and recovery strategy.

SYSTEM BACK-UP & RECOVERY
If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.
If you have a back-up and recovery plan, you can recover from anything in minutes, not hours or days.

1. back-up all the things that you don't want to lose, data files, like documents, spreadsheets, emails, email account details, registration keys, address book, favourites/bookmarks, downloaded files/programs, etc. the list goes on and on but if you don't want to lose it back it up. There are many back-up programs that can simplify this task and run it every day.

2. Recovery - re-installing your system really is a poor choice and one of last resort. There are tools (Drive Imaging software) that take exact images of your Partitions or Hard Disks and these images can be restored in minutes if you suffer a major catastrophe and that doesn't have to be a virus attack.

I do a weekly image of my partitions and save them to my 2nd hard disk, they can also be saved to off-line storage, DVD, USB external hard disk, etc. as part of my weekly system maintenance.

So if the worst comes to the worst at most I lose:
A. 6 days worth of program updates or new installations, but with my daily back-up I can recover most of that.
B. less than one days data files, emails, etc.
None of these is a problem and much quicker than a system reinstall and I don't have to go on-line to download the myriad of security updates needed to secure my system where there is a chance to get reinfected whilst my system has vulnerabilities because of these missing patches. Not to mention all my system tweaks and program settings are retained and I will have saved myself many hours of work and a huge amount of stress.

Many of these programs cost, there are some free ones, but it will take some research on your part to find these tools and decide on what is best for you from reviews, user feed back, etc. good luck.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security