Author Topic: How did they get my info and my partners?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Amanda11

How did they get my info and my partners?
« on: July 19, 2022, 04:38:17 PM »
Avast emailed my partner, but addressed it to me, and said they were taking $183 for 2, 1 yr subscriptions. They used my name on an email to his address and the reference number for the receipts are *not* linked to my Avast. He has no account with avast. The bank account they took the money from wasn't the same account I used to pay for my subscription.

I called my bank and claimed fraud-- avast emailed *him* back same day, using my name again, saying they'd make a refund to me.

How tf did they get his email and my unrelated bank account number to withdraw money from?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: How did they get my info and my partners?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 11:22:47 AM »
Avast emailed my partner, but addressed it to me, and said they were taking $183 for 2, 1 yr subscriptions. They used my name on an email to his address and the reference number for the receipts are *not* linked to my Avast. He has no account with avast. The bank account they took the money from wasn't the same account I used to pay for my subscription.

I called my bank and claimed fraud-- avast emailed *him* back same day, using my name again, saying they'd make a refund to me.

How tf did they get his email and my unrelated bank account number to withdraw money from?

Hi,

Please note that we could have obtained these details only if the customer had provided them. The charge was for the auto-renewal of two subscriptions valid from Jul 2020 (unrelated to your current subscription). The money is not deducted directly from your bank account but via your credit card. This would imply that the credit card provided (Jul 2020) is linked to your bank account. You can verify this with your bank. They would be able to give more details.
Since these subscriptions used a different email address than your current subscription, they would not be linked under the same Avast Account (you would have had to link the two manually).

I hope this addresses and provides clarity to your concerns.