Author Topic: Could avast browser learn from new Arc browser by the Browser Company?  (Read 1738 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Give in URLs and tabs on the left side of the browser, a new concept more suited for newer devices,
where there is ample room. Will this become the new unconventional browsing trend?
At the moment just available for Mac's, but who knows what avast may come up with?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Whilst I don't use Avast Secure Browser, I'm not a fan of Chrome or chromium browsers.  However I would say I hope they don't learn this bad idea.

I'm not sure what you mean by modern devices, but I would guess you are talking about high resolution/dpi screens.  Now it doesn't really matter how high your resolution/dpi is you still have to be able to read the content.

Example: my laptop is only 1080p on a 15.6" screen, if I were to leave it on the default windows dpi, I would have a hard time reading small text.  So I have to increase the DPI in order to be able to read it and or change the text size in the browser.  Both of these have the effect of reducing the screen width. 

If the tabs were on the left, then this would further reduce available screen width, which has the knock on effect of making you scroll more to read all of the text.

However, with the tabs at the top, I have the full screen width, meaning less scrolling.  So I hope you will see what I don't want this to become the so called default option without the ability to choose.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Libor Šlechta

• Browser QA Team
  • Avast team
Hello polonus,

Thank you for your suggestion!

While our main focus is on security and privacy features, we are also trying to improve our UI.

I talked with our product team and at the moment we are not focusing on developing a new experimental UI.