Author Topic: Avast Firewall Ask Mode  (Read 3021 times)

Offline ccm582

Avast Firewall Ask Mode
« on: July 26, 2022, 09:58:19 AM »
Smart Mode in Avast Firewall is supposed to allow what Avast considers to be safe connections. But if we use Ask, we may not know whether something is safe or not.

May I suggest that when a pop-up asks to allow or deny an internet connection, Avast have a recommendation at the bottom whether it is safe to allow. Then it is up to the user to decide.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Firewall Ask Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 10:32:09 AM »
By using Ask you are in effect disabling the "allow what Avast considers to be safe connections" so it isn't referring to its list safe connections.

However, I just wonder if even having done that Avast could only present you with connections it doesn't consider safe, rather than having to flag those considered safe.  This is one of problems with tweaking systems having consequences.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ccm582

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 12:51:25 PM »
However, I just wonder if even having done that Avast could only present you with connections it doesn't consider safe, rather than having to flag those considered safe.  This is one of problems with tweaking systems having consequences.

This will render Ask useless. We want to use Ask in case there are programs that we want to block but are not sure which files of those programs actually want to access the internet. A connection can be safe but the user may still want to block it.

But Avast can recommend whether a connection is safe or not in the pop-up. After all, this is what Comodo Free Firewall does.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 12:54:59 PM by ccm582 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 01:00:18 PM »
Why would it, isn't that the whole purpose of ASK !

Avast is trying to lighten the load by having the "allow what Avast considers to be safe connections" function and you are wanting to effectively do it manually.

Nothing to stop you using the Comodo Firewall, provided you don't use the other security elements.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ccm582

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 01:21:45 PM »
Isn't "allow what Avast considers to be safe connections" function the SMART mode? I thought we have option to choose ASK over SMART so that we know which programs want to access the internet. For example, a safe program like Adobe Reader asked for access in ASK mode. We can then decide to block or allow.

Why have ASK if you don't want users to manually decide?

I'm just suggesting that Avast gives its opinion whether it will allow the program if a pop-up appears in ASK. If you can't, then never mind.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 01:44:12 PM »
Yes, it would be, but in opting out of Smart mode by electing for 'Ask', it is effectively Asking for every connection.

This is my take on it (as that is what it appears to be doing by your description), you will have to see what Avast says as an when they respond.

Offline ccm582

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 02:02:05 PM »
What I mean is not the pros and cons of ASK mode.

If, say, Adobe Reader, asks for internet access in a ASK pop-up, Avast can say in the pop-up that it is a safe application and we can safely allow. Then the user can allow or block whichever he chooses.

But you have made me reconsider SMART mode. TQ.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 02:25:39 PM »
What I mean is not the pros and cons of ASK mode.

If, say, Adobe Reader, asks for internet access in a ASK pop-up, Avast can say in the pop-up that it is a safe application and we can safely allow. Then the user can allow or block whichever he chooses.

But you have made me reconsider SMART mode. TQ.

I don't know if things would be different in Smart mode for those connections not allowed you would get the pop-up Asking.  e.g. allowing it.  Would it then be added to the safe list.

Considering in earlier incarnations of the Avast Firewall you could add a program to allow programs/connections.
I don't know if simply adding that app/program making the connection to the Firewalls Allowed Programs list would have the same effect.

For me this is more about logic as I have never been a fan of the Avast Firewall since it was first introduced in Avast paid products and later in Avast One.  I have stuck with the Windows Firewall, just sat there not troubling me and I allow Avast Free (with no firewall) to do the same in not allowing outbound connections to suspect sites.

Offline ccm582

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 02:42:02 PM »
Windows 10 Firewall is good except programs (or malware) with administrative privileges can add, on PC startup, their own firewall rules to Windows Firewall to allow inbound or outbound connections.

However, a utility called Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control (WFC) can delete/disable such rules if they're not allowed by user in WFC pop-ups.

I tested both firewalls and I find that Avast Firewall so far didn't allow such programs to add their own rules.