Author Topic: What's going on with the forum?  (Read 29148 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What's going on with the forum?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2007, 08:14:18 PM »
I don't find it that funny, especially if it is crippling me for contributing in this forum to help others...

So it looks like it isn't going to get done manually then.

It still doesn't explain why it would happen intermittently I have had a high number of notifications for a considerable time and so has Tech.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2007, 01:59:12 AM »
What a bloody nightmare I have just completed manually deleting all 527 remaining pages of notifications. What made it worse is you can't delete the pages in reverse order, having deleted a page it displays the first page, so I couldn't start from the back and leave say 100 pages, they all had to go.

It took considerably more than just 2 clicks when I started it was 3 clicks and moving the mouse twice for each deletion as the select all box and the unsubscribe weren't in the same screen area so you have to scroll down or click in the scroll bar margin and then move to the unsubscribe button.

I had an idea reduce the text size so both objects were in the same screen, so down to click move click. Hundreds of pages later I had another idea, try select all and click enter in the hopr that the unsubscribe button was the active button, it was. The next couple of hundred pages of notifications were don in a little over 12 minutes.

What a bloody nightmare, now lets see if all this effort has any effect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2007, 08:16:08 AM »

All this seems a little strange to me as I've not had any problems with the forum in the past 1-1/2 weeks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2007, 02:41:49 PM »
I missed the second bit, Whilst I have a huge amount of replies to posts, 547 pages of notifications, etc. So why isn't this happening to Tech who must surely have even more.
No. I clean my house very often: no inbound/outbound messages stored, no notifications of threads at all, etc.

Because I did db backup, users cleanup, db cleanup etc....  8)
Is there a way to 'tell' the user this is going on, like a speed situation of the forum: 'red' for forum flooded, lot of work going on, 'many cars in the street'... 'yellow' for the middle situation and 'green' for no traffic problems at all?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:44:42 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2007, 02:44:23 PM »
All this seems a little strange to me as I've not had any problems with the forum in the past 1-1/2 weeks.

I guess I must be lucky then, you can have some of my luck, I'm rubbing some of my luck off on your post right now ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2007, 02:52:33 PM »
I missed the second bit, Whilst I have a huge amount of replies to posts, 547 pages of notifications, etc. So why isn't this happening to Tech who must surely have even more.
No. I clean my house very often: no inbound/outbound messages stored, no notifications of threads at all, etc.

Well I have notifications turned off by default no emails, but have the "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" option enabled. I can use the "Show new replies to your posts" to sort the wheat from the chaf to quickly deal with replies, I believe that requires the previously mentioned option to be enabled.

If I had to sort through all posts to find those I get contributed to and have had replies it would greatly slow me down.

However I'm going to try something and disable the  "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" option as when I clicked the "Show new replies to your posts" link I got a lot of topics in the list, yet from my marathon cleaning session yesterday there were only three topics in the topic notification list.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:55:47 PM by DavidR »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2007, 03:13:55 PM »
If I had to sort through all posts to find those I get contributed to and have had replies it would greatly slow me down.
I haven't even tried to follow this, it's impossible ;D

However I'm going to try something and disable the  "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" option as when I clicked the "Show new replies to your posts" link I got a lot of topics in the list, yet from my marathon cleaning session yesterday there were only three topics in the topic notification list.
I use the 'unread thread list' for browsing. I have to open each thread or 'mark as read'...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2007, 04:06:06 PM »
I use the 'unread thread list' for browsing. I have to open each thread or 'mark as read'...

For me the "Show unread posts since last visit" still returns a huge amount of posts, so that is why I first use the "Show new replies to your posts," this reduces the numbers to a manageable number (for me).

So I use the Show new replies to your posts, which I believed required the notifications enabled) and having that enabled built up the huge total.

However, things are not always what they seem in the forums and that is why I'm trying the option I mentioned that you quoted, disable 'all' notifications and still click the "Show new replies to your posts," link and would you believe it it still works, so I have absolutely no idea what the SMF software uses for a reference as to what topics I have contributed to and be able to list those that have replies ???

kubecj

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2007, 04:10:18 PM »
I'm trying the option I mentioned that you quoted, disable 'all' notifications and still click the "Show new replies to your posts," link and would you believe it it still works, so I have absolutely no idea what the SMF software uses for a reference as to what topics I have contributed to and be able to list those that have replies ???

You mean 'show all threads, where there are messages by DavidR and there is newer message than DavidR's'?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2007, 04:26:47 PM »
Yes, if I start or contribute to a topic and there are replies after my post/s as in the link in my User Info details and the top of each page in the Babylon Theme, see image.

Not only that there is also the new button in the list of topics to allow me to go to the latest post that I haven't seen. I guess that could use a cookie or last active value for that.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2007, 01:13:14 PM »
Forum is slow again...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2007, 02:44:34 PM »
Out of connection for 1 hour (more or less).

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2007, 02:55:08 PM »
Out of connection for 1 hour (more or less).

Right now, hit and miss. 45 min to get in from a google search, checked messages, read two posts, then stalled. Opened new browser and got in again.

Frustrating.......

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2007, 03:31:52 PM »
Has somebody been playing around with the server reset button again ;D ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2007, 04:45:30 PM »
Ha for once I seem to have missed the fun I have only just booted my computer been Christmas shopping.

Ah spoke too darn soon, I'm seeing horrendous page creations again (and before anyone asks I have zero notifications)