Author Topic: Is possible have only detection pop up enabled in Avast Free?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
Is possible have only detection pop up enabled in Avast Free?
« on: August 04, 2022, 04:39:57 PM »
Hello,
as tittle says is possible have only detection popup enabled while other adware/bloatware popup keep disabled in Avast free?
In Avast Help page (https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/antivirus-popup-notifications/#pc)  is settings Show detection dialogs while the silent mode is on but in my Avast i cant see it. It was this "must have" settings removed?

I dont know what to do, i am crazy what Avast do. Every day many times the same nonsense popups which i have seen milion times. Thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is possible have only detection pop up enabled in Avast Free?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 05:00:53 PM »
Not sure where and when this is happening.

The link that you gave is how to manage popups and not necessarily a malware type, such as PUPs not to display those but display others and that doesn't really deal with that.  You need to exclude PUPs from detection.

Menu > Settings > Protection > Core Shields > Potentially Unwanted Programs and tools.  See attached image - note I'm still using avast 22.5 not the latest 22.7, so I don't know if that has changed, though I would think not.

Obviously the risk is yours in disabling this, I disabled mine some considerable time ago.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 05:06:53 PM »
I dont think this helps. Many times per day i have popup in right bottom corner: You have 4 security risks, insecure connection your IP is visible etc. It has nothing to do with PUP, is just adware.
And it is paradox, i install Av to protect self from any kind of malware: for example spyware, adware, trojans, worms etc. And Avast is Antivirus which include spyware and adware. Good job.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:12:03 PM by TheOwner »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 07:24:25 PM »
That piece of information would have been handy in your first post.  The link you posted unfortunately led me down the PUP alerts path.

These are essentially the cost of the Free version, in the hope you will purchase paid versions of Avast. 

I certainly don't see these many times per day and I have Avast Free.  When I do my thoughts are so what I know that my IP address is visible, etc. etc. If I were concerned I would have done something about it..
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 10:50:13 PM »
I think just opposite, this ads forces users to uninstall this AV not buy it. I understand Free version has to have ads. Ads can be in Avast UI, thats ok for free version, but why popups? Antivirus should fight against any type of adware, not adding one more. And if here is no choice disable popups, why is still the same ad repeated if I seen it milion times? Unfortunately I am still on Windows 7, so I cant use Windows Defender and there is no free alternative for my OS.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 11:01:34 PM by TheOwner »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 02:57:26 AM »
No point in arguing that with me as an avast User, this is the way things are.

People walking away from the Free version isn't going to have the money men crying, on the other hand paid version users leaving would be a different story and that is why they have the ability to remove much of this cross selling in their settings.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 01:56:21 PM »
This is not about people dont have money, people just dont need paid features, because Free version offer complete virus protection. I have never had a reason pay it, even in Free version i do custom install with only necessary components. Some are real bloat like cleaners, browser, extension and so on. And pay for ad removal? You cant be serious.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 02:48:44 PM »
I have only been using Avast Free for 18 years and it is enough for me.  I also have other good security habits and blockers to back me up.

I also do a custom installation.

Unfortunately the been counters don't consider that.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 05:10:39 PM »
I use Avast since 2004, so is sad to say Win 7 is last OS where I use it. Just because this behaviour, adware, spyware, bloatware. Avast was good, very good long time ago and nothing will change, it is just corporate decision, their politics, no one hear users what they need.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 05:18:59 PM by TheOwner »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 07:20:55 PM »
With Avast now under that huge corporation, looking to recover investment and turn a profit, I can't see this changing in Avast Free anytime soon.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 12:28:14 AM »
I use Avast since 2004, so is sad to say Win 7 is last OS where I use it. Just because this behaviour, adware, spyware, bloatware. Avast was good, very good long time ago and nothing will change, it is just corporate decision, their politics, no one hear users what they need.
Avast is not a 501 c3 corp. In order to stay in business, they need paying customers.
That's a simple fact of life and survival. If you work, you also expect to be paid for your services.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline davews

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 07:50:38 AM »
The ads are misleading, they suggest something is wrong with your computer and that a few clicks will sort it out. It is not until you get several steps into their suggestions that you realise that it is to lure you into spending money. The 'buy Avast Premium' or whatever to sort out the issue should be right there on the initial popup.
Most of us hate these popups, we appreciate Avast needs income but doing it this way just annoys people. I would use MS Defender myself but it still has some annoyances that keep me on Avast for the moment.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 02:29:43 PM »
Of course, people will pay for good product, but premium version not offer nothing crucial which make you more secure and not worth money. And is not only about Ads, Avast is also hidden data collector (spyware). This popups are scam, makes people afraid that something is wrong, then they probably buy it. But those usually happen to people with zero PC knowledge and old people which as I see Avast focus. No is really not security risk if my IP is visible or I not use Avast browser.

Avast should be premium AV, for basic defence is Windows defender enough. So I would remove Free version completely, keeping only one version of Avast with all good features (except bloatware), no ads, no spyware, just protection, speed, reliability. Then this product worth my money.

But I understand this not happen, Free version users are still very useful for unknown new threats, which Avast uploads to their virus lab and of course for data collection (spyware).

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 08:06:47 AM »
And sometimes Avast think, one ad is not enough so they force to me two ads at same time. For some reason one ad is black on screenshot, probably because is VPN ad which shows IP.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 04:29:34 PM by TheOwner »

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2022, 03:13:28 PM »
So I would remove Free version completely, keeping only one version of Avast with all good features (except bloatware), no ads, no spyware, just protection, speed, reliability. Then this product worth my money.
Whoa whoa whoa! You stop right there! XD

Windows Defender is a lot worse than Avast (I had enough expreience with both), and the defender doesn't protect the PC from all viruses as well as Avast. (Ironically, Windows Firewall is better than Avast Firewall, but that's a different story).

I'd rather have the Silent Mode one and have a free Avast fully protecting my PC (and just check it manually, if something was silently blocked or moved into the quarantine).

Hello,
as tittle says is possible have only detection popup enabled while other adware/bloatware popup keep disabled in Avast free?
You can try using Windows Firewall to block the AvastUI.exe completely for all ports and protocols. Theoretically it could stop the ads.

But I have no idea if such an action would affect the program's ability to auto update its virus definitions (if it turns out those stop working, you could always update those manually once a day, unblocking and blocking it in Firewall when necessary).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 03:17:47 PM by InvisibleMan »