Author Topic: Webcam Shield is breaking my webcam's functions. How can I fix it?  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Avastuser1

Hello everyone.

After the latest Avast Premium update was installed I'm finding that my Logitech BRIO webcam's IR facial recognition camera sensor for Windows Hello sign-in compatibility no longer works, nor does the 'Photos' mode in the Windows 10 Camera app.

I disabled the Webcam Shield within settings and the IR camera sensor with Windows Hello and the optical camera in the Camera app are both now operating like normal but whenever I turn the Webcam Shield back on - the IR camera sensor and optical camera are blocked. The error message given is that: ""Something went wrong. The camera is being used in another app, close the app and try again"

Previously I've always had the Webcam Shield enabled and set to 'Smart Mode'. Before the latest Avast update the Webcam Shield had never interfered with the overall functionality of the webcam.

Does anybody know what settings I can change to keep the Webcam Shield running in the background but to also have the IR camera sensor and optical camera on my webcam working as well? Again before the update everything was working totally fine, so it has to be the update itself that is the reason for all this.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Webcam Shield is breaking my webcam's functions. How can I fix it?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 11:57:11 AM »
Hi,

Our developers are looking into it. https://forum.avast.com/?topic=320453

Offline Avastuser1

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 12:41:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Glad it's not just me. Hoping the next update fixes the problem because I feel safer with the Webcam Shield activated. Any rough estimate on when the patch will be available?

Offline scrat242

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 07:43:51 PM »
Chiming in that webcam shield has disabled my Logitech Brio cam as well.
Avast Prem. Security version: 22.7.6025 (build 22.7.7403.741)

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 09:40:25 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Glad it's not just me. Hoping the next update fixes the problem because I feel safer with the Webcam Shield activated. Any rough estimate on when the patch will be available?

Hi,
I, unfortunately, cannot provide any ETA.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 09:44:53 AM »
Chiming in that webcam shield has disabled my Logitech Brio cam as well.
Avast Prem. Security version: 22.7.6025 (build 22.7.7403.741)

Hi,

The only option, for now, is to disable the Webcam Shield.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Offline bill27

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 09:03:19 PM »

Hello everyone.

After the latest Avast Premium update was installed I'm finding that my Logitech BRIO webcam's IR facial recognition camera sensor for Windows Hello sign-in compatibility no longer works, nor does the 'Photos' mode in the Windows 10 Camera app.

I disabled the Webcam Shield within settings and the IR camera sensor with Windows Hello and the optical camera in the Camera app are both now operating like normal but whenever I turn the Webcam Shield back on - the IR camera sensor and optical camera are blocked. The error message given is that: ""Something went wrong. The camera is being used in another app, close the app and try again"

Previously I've always had the Webcam Shield enabled and set to 'Smart Mode'. Before the latest Avast update the Webcam Shield had never interfered with the overall functionality of the webcam.

Does anybody know what settings I can change to keep the Webcam Shield running in the background but to also have the IR camera sensor and optical camera on my webcam working as well? Again before the update everything was working totally fine, so it has to be the update itself that is the reason for all this.

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 02:42:41 PM »
Hi bill27, we just released a new program update 22.8. Could you please check if the problem persists in this new version?

To update to 22.8, please open Avast, go to - Menu - Settings - General - Update - and click the second "CHECK FOR UPDATE" button.

Once the update is installed, please restart your computer and check if you can use your webcam.