Author Topic: Avast Premium Security: Sensitive Data Shield not work.  (Read 1766 times)

Offline kubasinski13

Avast Premium Security: Sensitive Data Shield not work.
« on: August 08, 2022, 12:35:29 AM »
Avast Sensitive Data Shield scanner isn't working properly. I've made example files with ID, credit card details and something else, next i've used scanner to detect sensitive data, of course avast scanned all, but didn't find it them. I've placed files in My Documents folder with .txt extension, and tried 4 times with many ways such as: moving files, renaming them, adding some data in them, and nothing else happened, avast didn't detect any sensitive files. This is scam shield, don't work, or it's bugged and not working properly. Screenshot below.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Premium Security: Sensitive Data Shield not work.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 01:19:24 AM »
Are you saying that you changed the file type or they were already in .txt format  ?

Whilst I don't use Avast Premier and by association the Sensitive Data Shield, so I don't know if .txt files would be considered possible sensitive data regardless of the file name given.

Like the Ransomware Shield, it protects certain folders by default but you can also add other folders, can you do that with the Sensitive Data Shield  ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 12:33:40 PM »
Avast Sensitive Data Shield scanner isn't working properly. I've made example files with ID, credit card details and something else, next i've used scanner to detect sensitive data, of course avast scanned all, but didn't find it them. I've placed files in My Documents folder with .txt extension, and tried 4 times with many ways such as: moving files, renaming them, adding some data in them, and nothing else happened, avast didn't detect any sensitive files. This is scam shield, don't work, or it's bugged and not working properly. Screenshot below.

Hi,

Please see the FAQ under "Which files does Sensitive Data Shield protect?" https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/39/

Offline r00tweakerz

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 10:27:26 PM »

Hi,

Please see the FAQ under "Which files does Sensitive Data Shield protect?" https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/39/

The problem is, sensitive data scanner module seems like it is really not working properly, I can say that because of my experience too. I have some pdf files that they are actually contain sensitive data like IDs, Health reports, etc. but sensitive data scanner does not catch them. Even they have sensitive names like eg. "Health Certificate.pdf" or "Citizenship Identity Card.pdf", Avast was not able to spot them, at least that was my experience.

Even if it can't find them, at least we should be able to add them manually under sensitive data shield. And seems like we can't add files manually to sensitive data shield. I think that should come as a feature too. 

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 11:25:19 AM »

The problem is, sensitive data scanner module seems like it is really not working properly, I can say that because of my experience too. I have some pdf files that they are actually contain sensitive data like IDs, Health reports, etc. but sensitive data scanner does not catch them. Even they have sensitive names like eg. "Health Certificate.pdf" or "Citizenship Identity Card.pdf", Avast was not able to spot them, at least that was my experience.

Even if it can't find them, at least we should be able to add them manually under sensitive data shield. And seems like we can't add files manually to sensitive data shield. I think that should come as a feature too.

Hi,

Can you please create a full dump of the main instance of AvastUI.exe process? It should be created after performing sensitive files search, when the following screen is displayed (screenshot 1). The best way to dump the AvastUI process is using the built-in Windows Task Manager. The main UI instance is always the first process in the Avast Antivirus group (screenshot 2).
Then upload the file to our FTP: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/ftp-file-upload/#idt_020

Offline r00tweakerz

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 03:30:11 PM »

Hi,

Can you please create a full dump of the main instance of AvastUI.exe process? It should be created after performing sensitive files search, when the following screen is displayed (screenshot 1). The best way to dump the AvastUI process is using the built-in Windows Task Manager. The main UI instance is always the first process in the Avast Antivirus group (screenshot 2).
Then upload the file to our FTP: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/ftp-file-upload/#idt_020
Hello, I've uploaded the full dump file to you. it can't find files that are really important.

Also, as a suggestion, I think there should be an option to manually add these sensitive files. I didn't see any option to add files manually.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 06:31:07 PM by springh0st »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 08:40:27 AM »
Hello, I've uploaded the full dump file to you. it can't find files that are really important.

Also, as a suggestion, I think there should be an option to manually add these sensitive files. I didn't see any option to add files manually.

Hi,

Thank you.
Our developers are looking into this.