Author Topic: uBlock Origin  (Read 6715 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
uBlock Origin
« on: March 11, 2022, 12:47:46 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: uBlock Origin
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 01:17:45 PM »
Been using it for years, can be a little strict depending on your settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 06:23:10 PM »
Most popular and for good reason,
Has been in my browsers for a long time.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 04:55:52 PM »
Between uBlock Origin and Ad Guard which is the best in terms of privacy protection and ad blocking?
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline alanb

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 05:11:54 PM »
Between uBlock Origin and Ad Guard which is the best in terms of privacy protection and ad blocking?

IMHO they are very close in capabilities, but uBO is free and open source.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 06:06:12 PM »

IMHO they are very close in capabilities, but uBO is free and open source.

I has been said it is marginally better than AdBlock
Quote from: Extract
Adguard outperforms Adblock by a narrow margin due to some enhanced features, but when it's all said and done, I'm not sure I would want to spend an extra $10+ dollars a month for such a nominal increase in features. Plus, Adblock is available on more platforms since it functions as a browser extension.30 Nov 2021
From - https://digitalguyde.com/adblock-vs-adguard-better-ad-blocking-service/

I completely agree that 10$ a month is bordering on exorbitant when you consider there are many free browser extension Ad Blockers that do a great job.

I have been using uBlock origin for more years than I can remember and it is pretty active in blocking sites unless you allow.  It is very configurable.  I also combine it with uMatrix, I used to use AdBlock Plus, but dropped it when it became unsupported.

Given what is said in its website - https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html
Quote from: Extract
AdGuard for Windows
AdGuard for Windows is not just another ad blocker, it is a multipurpose tool that combines all necessary features for the best web experience. It blocks ads and dangerous websites, speeds up page loading and protects your children when they are online.

I have to wonder if it wouldn't cause conflict with the web shield as AdGuard isn't just a browser extension.

So if you are prepared to do your own research there is a lot of information out there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 04:00:21 PM »
Firefox will postpone the new blocking restrictive extensions, that are to arrive in Google Chrome
together with all chromium-based browsers, for a full year on their browser.

The new Chrome and chromium situation urged UBlock Origin's developer to come up with a lite version for such browsers, because of Google's new limited and restricted V3 manifest extensions being introduced.

Really, folks, ad- and script-blocking on Google Chrome and chromium-like browsers will be much harder to do.
And for Google that earns fortunes from ads, it sounds only reasonable. It is part of their vested interests.

Read on avast blog what has been planned for Avast Secure Browser (also chromium-based for that reason).

uMatrix, a script blocker and more, has therefore been left by it's developer.
So I went back to good old NoScript with Temp TRUSTED settings set here and there by me.

In many respects these days the end-user as the product has been left "out in the cold" by Big Tech. A pity really.

I can verwy well understand DavidR sticking to stay with Firefox as his browser of choice.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 04:37:01 PM »
When JavaScript and all that bloat with all the insecurity included will get retired, this may become the future.
Gemini -> https://portal.mozz.us/gemini/geminispace.info/

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!