Author Topic: Enable self defense disables virus definition updates  (Read 924 times)

Offline Johan136

Enable self defense disables virus definition updates
« on: August 19, 2022, 01:04:54 AM »
Every time Avast comes with a new update for virus definitions it cannot update and breaks off before the update is installed.
The only solution to update is to temporarily disable the enable self-defence.
I believe that this is not the best methode but how do i re-enable the updates?

Johan136

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Enable self defense disables virus definition updates
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 03:05:22 AM »
What Avast version are you using ?
Whilst I'm still using Avast Free 22.5.xxxx I'm not experiencing this issue, automatic viruses definition updates appear to be working fine with self-defence on.

Have you tried an Avast repair ?
There was another topic relating to virus definitions being a problem, but I can't seem to find it, I think bob3160 posted in it (about some sort of out of sequence VPS update causing a problem).  I think he also posted a reference to a resolution.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Johan136

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 06:53:35 AM »
I'm just trying to warn, I don't have time to deal with the issue, I've wasted a whole day trying to figure out how to get the update up and running and Avast will just have to see if there are more people out there.

Offline r00tweakerz

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 03:16:44 PM »
Uninstall avast. Run Avast Clear. After, reset your all network settings from "settings" menu. After that, reinstall your Avast Free.