Author Topic: Windows ME (ugh!)  (Read 2584 times)

Vale2

Windows ME (ugh!)
« on: December 18, 2007, 02:05:51 AM »
A family member owns a computer with Windows ME.  I talked to her about avast!.  She also needs a firewall and I have checked out Jetico Personal Firewall (free edition) I would like to know from forum members if avast and Jetico are.  If  you have any pointers for me, I would greatly appreciate it as I no absolutely nothing of Windows ME and will have to forward all info via the internet ( we live in different countries ). Looking forward to the replies.

roundtrip

Re: Windows ME (ugh!)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:58:55 AM »
I know this isn't what you would wish to hear but running Windows ME on any system that will be connected to the Internet is a disaster waiting to happen. There haven't been any updates for Windows ME for nearly 18 months. My advice is to get a system with at least Windows XP and get it patched up to date.

No antivirus or firewall is going to stop a Windows ME system being compromised at some point!!!!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 08:57:44 AM »
If you have a system .. any system ... behind a good antivirus product and a firewall and better yet a router ... what is your justification for your assertion?

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:58:05 AM »
Hi roundtrip! 8)
I wouldn't fully agree with you, coz some of us here use an older windows version (win 98 i.e.), I meant "oldman". Well the main clue here is juse to use common sense and to surf the net more wisely 8)
Take care.
Rostik

Vale2

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 12:14:14 PM »
I know this isn't what you would wish to hear but running Windows ME on any system that will be connected to the Internet is a disaster waiting to happen. There haven't been any updates for Windows ME for nearly 18 months. My advice is to get a system with at least Windows XP and get it patched up to date.

No antivirus or firewall is going to stop a Windows ME system being compromised at some point!!!!

Hi roundtrip, I agree with you on the complete instability of Wins ME and have expressed same to my family member.  It is unfortunate that she was sold this OS just one year ago with no warning from the sales person.  At this moment she is unable to upgrade the OS.  I have given her all the info and she is just hoping to have some sort of stability (i.e. Firefox, avast!, and possible Jetico). 
Thank you all for your opinions and advice.  Much appreciated. 

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 01:33:37 PM »
ME is essentially 98SE with a prettier face, System Restore added, the installation files copied from the CD during OS install (so you don't have to remember where the CD is next time you install something) and the ability to run in real DOS mode removed. so it's inherently no more or less secure & stable than 98SE.

R-Tools have a free firewall that is supposed to be 98SE compatible though they curiously don't mention ME in the requirements. http://www.r-firewall.com/

You can still get old versions of ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Outpost and others at www.oldversion.com

If the PC is behind a router you probably don't even need a software firewall (controversial I know :o)
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25