Author Topic: Avast asks for restart after definiton updates by streaming / Shields  (Read 2402 times)

Offline edialechu

Hi
Since 2 weeks ago Avast began to invite me to restart the computer after definition updates by streaming . I wanted to ask you which could be the problem.
I tried to analyze the problem and I saw that when the computer starts from the beginning  with the first update definition it doesn´t ask me to restart.
The alert appears later with the next definitions updates by streaming  and when I open the firefox browser (version 100.0).
I don´t have the last version of avast because I have Windows 7 operating system and prefer to maintain the old version.
Could be possible that with the definition updates you also were sending web shield updates and that this could be the reason of the problem?
I wuld be very grateful if you help me.

Many thanks!!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 05:43:53 PM by edialechu »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast asks for restart after definiton updates by streaming / Shields
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 06:31:36 PM »
The definitions update doesn't just include the virus signatures it also includes Engine updates, which might require a restart to take effect.

However, streaming updates would normally only include virus signatures and I have never seen that ask for a restart (and I don't think it would).

What avast version are you using ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 06:00:33 AM »
Hi
Since 2 weeks ago Avast began to invite me to restart the computer after definition updates by streaming . I wanted to ask you which could be the problem.
I tried to analyze the problem and I saw that when the computer starts from the beginning  with the first update definition it doesn´t ask me to restart.
The alert appears later with the next definitions updates by streaming  and when I open the firefox browser (version 100.0).
I don´t have the last version of avast because I have Windows 7 operating system and prefer to maintain the old version.
Could be possible that with the definition updates you also were sending web shield updates and that this could be the reason of the problem?
I wuld be very grateful if you help me.

Many thanks!!!
Hello!

Sadly, you won't be able to get any official help from anyone, including the Developers about this issue, as I already tried many times, and they weren't able to help me or even explain what's going on.

My conclusion was: it's related to using Windows 7, which they consider too obsolete to care about.

I do have a solution though, if you're interested.  :)

Of course, you should understand what you're doing, since it might (in theory) make you a bit more vulnerable (but the same thing can be said about using older versions of Avast, so you should be fine actually).

Firstly, see this post of mine, here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=319628.msg1687784#msg1687784

Also, later I figured out that it could also be the Emergency update issue (on computers with Windows 7).

So, a sure way to solve this rebooting issue on Windows 7, is to disable BOTH tasks in Task Scheduler, including Overseer and Emergency update.

Considering, you said you keep running the older version of Avast, this action will not change your protection level or risks whatsoever.

But the rebooting requests will stop, after you do your very last requested reboot, after disabling those tasks.

Instructions:

This article should help you how to find and open the Task Scheduler:
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/ways-start-task-scheduler-windows/

The "Avast Emergency Update" task is located in the "Task Scheduler Library" section (select it by clicking, to see the list of tasks for it).

The "Overseer" task is located in the "Task Scheduler Library > Avast Software" subsection (select it to see the tasks).

Right click on each of those tasks and in the pop-up menu click the "Disable" option.

Veryfy the status of each task in the task list field, so that it says that it's "Disabled".

Close the "Task Scheduler" and Reboot your computer.

Your problem will be solved.

And the virus definitions updates will work just fine
, without asking you to reboot every time.

P.S.

I don't use the option "Enable streaming updates" myself, so I don't know if having it checked would prevent my solution from working. But you can test it first. Maybe it will work with that option checked just fine.

The definitions update doesn't just include the virus signatures it also includes Engine updates, which might require a restart to take effect.
Oh, don't worry. That's actually a lot simpler, as you can see from the beginning of my reply.

Windows 7 exclusive issue, which won't ever be resolved  because the developers don't really care about that old OS all that much. (I can understand why, though.)

At least it's possible to fix it the way I described above.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 06:08:40 AM by InvisibleMan »

Offline edialechu

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 02:34:28 PM »
DavidR the version I have is 17.9.2322
Invisibleman Many many thanks  for all your help. Today it didn´t appear the problem. Avast Emergency ran the first time when I booted my computer and it was ok. I don´t have the overseer task. According to the schedule it will run again within four hours so I will check it again if appears the problem and in that case I will disable.
Although I continue thinking that yesterday the problem was with the streaming updates because it asked me many times to restart and the avast emergency doesn´t run so many times. Anyway, thank you very much. I'll keep checking in case it reappears.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 02:37:39 PM by edialechu »

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 04:07:03 PM »
DavidR the version I have is 17.9.2322
Oh! You should have said that from the start. That's a bit too old, even for Windows 7.

I think the best and stable version (granted, it's set properly) from the more new ones is v21.8.2487 and also the recent one v22.8.6030 seems okay.

Of course, if it works fine, it's a good idea not to update.

I actually had some older version myself not so long ago. But after getting a new graphics card, it turned out that modern drivers (which were the only ones that worked with it) were conflicting with the older version of Avast, causing  various issues, like the card's temperature spikes (GPU was used for some reason).

Only the more modern Avast worked without problems with the new card.

Offline edialechu

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 04:53:20 PM »
Thank you so much!! I will keep it in mind.

Offline edialechu

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 10:34:52 PM »
Unfortunately the problem appeared again. So I will try to apply your solution Invisibleman. You were right I made a mistake when I looked for the location of the overseer task. I found it. I will follow it up tomorrow to confirm if the restart occurs when the overseer task runs.Many thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 02:05:42 AM by edialechu »

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 11:08:42 AM »
Unfortunately the problem appeared again. So I will try to apply your solution Invisibleman. You were right I made a mistake when I looked for the location of the overseer task. I found it. I will follow it up tomorrow to confirm if the restart occurs when the overseer task runs.Many thanks again!
Okay. But it would be much easier and faster to just disable the Overseer task, reboot, and forget about the issue. :)

You don't really need that task, if you're not going to use the most recent Avast version, anyway.

Also, it might not occur right away as the Overseer task runs, since it's scheduling the restart, which is performed afterwards. And there could be some delay.

(And even if disabling the Overseer task wouldn't solve the issue after rebooting the computer, then at least you would know that it's something else causing it. And you can always enable the task back.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 11:11:22 AM by InvisibleMan »

Offline edialechu

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 02:37:42 PM »
You are right thanks for all your help.I don't understand why the overseer task send updates or fixes to computers that have configure its program update to manual and that have older versions.If they send fixes it has no sense with older versions.

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 04:31:52 PM »
I don't understand why the overseer task send updates or fixes to computers that have configure its program update to manual and that have older versions.If they send fixes it has no sense with older versions.
Overseer seems to be simply monitoring the program and searching for various issues in it (including checking if some silent updates/fixes, which they consider absolutely necessary regardless of your settings, were installed). If it finds some issues, it tries to fix them automatically.

The Overseer tool itself seems to be silently updating itself (and exchanging data with Avast servers) independently of your program version.

Apparently, at some point the Overseer became partially incompatible with Windows 7, and on some computers it now seems to be stuck in the loop: always trying to do something (repeating the same actions, judging by the logs) and then scheduling the reboot of computer. And thus people keep getting the prompts (or information in the Avast UI) about the need to reboot.

P.S.
Additionally, considering you have Avast on Windows 7, I recommend looking into this possible problem as well:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=316848.msg1677864#msg1677864

See that thread. And if you have the same problem, fix it as it's said in the last message there.

A bit of clarification though, the proper way to fix that issue is:

1. Temporarily disable Avast's self-defense in the Troubleshooting section of its Settings.
2. Set the AvastUI.log file to Read-Only via Right Click -> Properties in Windows File Explorer.
3. Enable Avast's self-defense back.
You should also reboot your computer after doing so, for it to actually work.
Then, double check, that Avast stopped updating the log file, by checking once an hour for the last update time in the file's properties.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 04:38:17 PM by InvisibleMan »

Offline edialechu

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 11:11:04 PM »
Many thanks for all the information!! Unfortunately the same problem appeared  these days on a Windows 10 notebook Dell with avast version 20.1.2397 It asks for restart. Luckily on Windows 7 the problem didn't appear again.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 11:43:55 PM by edialechu »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 11:53:04 PM »
Many thanks for all the information!! Unfortunately the same problem appeared  these days on a Windows 10 notebook Dell with avast version 20.1.2397 It asks for restart. Luckily on Windows 7 the problem didn't appear again.
Is there a reason you want to stay with an old outdated version?
Eventually, you'll be forced to update in order to stay protected.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet