Author Topic: pop-up window  (Read 1769 times)

canada john

pop-up window
« on: December 18, 2007, 01:53:47 AM »
Hello.

I enjoy Avast. No problems with the program. One suggestion though, if anyone is interested. To be hyper-careful I only connect to the internet when I intend to use it. Problem is Avast Free Home doesn't seem to recognize this and keeps sending up a pop-up window saying an error has occurred when it hasn't. Just thought those of you working on the program might like to iron this one out. And it's not just that a pop-up window appears. It stays there till you click it and another window appears to tell you of the "error", then you have to click that window to make it all go away. A bit annoying for an otherwise very good program.

All the best.

Canada John

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: pop-up window
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 02:08:53 AM »
What is your connection method ?

avast checks for updates when a connection is found so if say you were using dial-up once you connect avast will check for updates, this may take a little time. If you then disconnect avast won't be able to update and it will cycle through the different servers in the servers.def file trying to connect but won't be able since the original connection has been closed.

Eventually when it gets to the end of the list it will pop-up the red failed to update, you click that and it gives more information, this may be the second pop-up you mentioned.

You can dictate how avast updates, see the Program Settings, Update, (Basic).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
I do not want to sound critical of a fellow user ... but if you do not tell avast the truth you must expect what you get.

The online world is generally defined by two types ... the dial up user and the broadband user.

1) The dial up user connects to the network when they wish to do so.

2) The broadband user - to an overwhelming extent - takes advantage of the "if my system is up I am connected" option of "always connected".

Outside of those two types there is:

3) an infinitesimally small group of broadband users who choose to connect to the network - rather as dial up users do - only when they wish to do so

4) a group who have no network connection at all.

It appears that you belong to group 3.

avast accommodates all of these groups but you need to be honest with avast.

Please right click on the avast icon in the systray of your system.

Program settings > Update (connections) > Please make sure that both boxes are unchecked

In my testing this will avoid the pop-up problem windows you are reporting.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 02:34:34 PM »
I believe both boxes are unchecked by default in Program Settings, Update (Connections) unless of course Canada John had changed that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 06:03:53 PM »
 :)  Hi all :

I, like Canada John, have experienced a recent "rash" of red, failed to
      update PopUp "Error" Messages . Have only used DialUp and for at least a
      couple of yrs have had my "Update ( Basic ) " Setting set to Automatic
      for Virus Database and "Ask...." for Program . For "Update ( Connections )
      have had the "Dial-Up Modem" one checked for several yrs . Something
      incorrect with my Selections !?
      Usually the "Error messages" said it had been "trying" for about 48 Minutes