Author Topic: Allowing Programs Access - giving permission  (Read 2890 times)

valdazar7

Allowing Programs Access - giving permission
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
I have a program which monitors all of the computers I have at home. It is so I can assure myself that my two teenage children are not accessing or doing things they should not on their computers. I have avast anti virus and it has locked me out of their computers. Is there a way that I can set up avast to allow me access to their computers. Avast considers it spy ware (which it is)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Allowing Programs Access - giving permission
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 06:44:50 PM »
avast doesn't lock you out of anything, it scans and alerts you to infection.

Is that what you really mean ?

If so, what is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

If not can you be a little more detailed in what it is that you are doing and what is happening ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

valdazar7

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 06:50:50 PM »
When I try to log onto their computers from mine it comes up with the trojan alert amswys are the first letters of the intruder found and then it asks me what I want to do. I do nothing ID est I dont try to repair or put it in the chest. I do not know how to set avast so that it ignores my attempts all the time and always allows me access to the computer from my computer (which is where I set up the program to record to) at any time. It is a home edition activity monitor and I would like to be able to monitor activity even when my husband and I are out of town. Hope this helped.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:25:20 PM »
If it is a trojan there is no repair option.

Trojans generally can't be repaired (either by the VRDB or avast virus cleaner), because the entire content of the file is malware, so it is either move to chest or delete, move to the chest being the best option (first do no harm). When a file is in the chest it can't do any harm and you can investigate the infected warning.

The VRDB only protects certain files, mainly .exe files, it doesn't protect data files or all files, it is not a back-up program, so there are going to be many occasions where repair won't be an option.
Only true virus infection can be repaired, e.g. when a virus infects a file it adds a small part to it, provided that file is one that avast's VRDB would monitor and you have run the VRDB, then it may be possible to repair the file to its uninfected state.
However, for the most part so called viruses, trojans (adware/spyware/malware, etc.) can't be repaired because the complete content of the file is malicious.

I can't find anything on google that would be vaguely helpful, there aren't many hits an one of them is this topic. So I think you need to get into the avast log viewer and see what file is being alerted on. Then a scan using virustotal and exclude if found to be a bad detection.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at:
- Upload to VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings of these files here.  You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out (export).

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the standard shield scanning any file you put in that folder. You should now be able to export any file in the chest to this folder and upload it to VirusTotal without avast alerting.

If it is indeed a false positive, add it to the exclusions lists and send a sample to avast:
Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and
Program Settings, Exclusions
Restore it to its original location, periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the Standard Shield and Program Settings, exclusions.

Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and possible false positive in the subject.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

valdazar7

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 09:07:18 PM »
How do I tell avast to always allow the program to access the computer?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 09:53:52 PM »
First you have to identify what the file not program is and then exclude the file as I indicated above.