Author Topic: New Avast Update Preventing Outlook Email Messages From Being Received  (Read 821 times)

Offline Airvolt

Hi,

After rebooting, I noticed Avast updated my free antivirus (this happened today, so it must have happened with everyone. The program version reads 22.8.6030, build 22.8.7500.748.)

Outlook 2007,  upon checking whether there were incoming messages, immediately (without a pause) issued an error report: "Task 'server_name.com-Sending' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'"

After conducting the usual time-consuming research (this page was helpful; I see after posting my message that the link did not work, so it's included below), the port settings were all normal (of course; everything was working fine before shutting off the computer), and so I tried disabling Avast. Email messages were then received.

Under Avast's Protection > Core Shieds > Mail Shield, I needed to turn Mail Shield off for the time being.

What I am hoping you could help me with is advice on whether there is a workaround; it would be good to get my email protection back.

Thank you very much.

Airvolt

(Link from above: https://www.hostknox.com/knowledgebase/141/How-to-fix-the-error-0x800CCC1A-in-Outlook-2007.html#:~:text=The%20whole%20error%20message%20is,encryption%20port%20number%20for%20POP. )

« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 07:36:39 PM by Airvolt »

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: New Avast Update Preventing Outlook Email Messages From Being Received
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 08:03:20 PM »
Hi,
Try the beta version which seems to solve the encryption problems.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=321149.msg0#new
- one more issue related to TLS not working after openssl update

Offline Airvolt

Re: New Avast Update Preventing Outlook Email Messages From Being Received
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 09:20:04 PM »
Thank you very much, Chris. That not only solved the Outlook problem, but another problem I encountered, where my Iron browser refused to connect with many favorite sites (citing security), although Avast and Firefox had no issues with the same sites.

Whenever there is a software update, problems ensue. I'm tempted to stop auto updates with Avast, as I anticipate similar problems with the next update.

Much appreciated.