Author Topic: Can I have the dark skin back?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline James Boyd

Can I have the dark skin back?
« on: September 16, 2022, 12:26:40 AM »
I have vision problems and my eyes are very sensitive to bright lights and such. The new peach colored skin on Avast is so bright it's blinding me!

Is it possible to change it back to the original dark skin somehow?

If this is not possible now, could you please add it as an option? Please, Please, Please!

Thank you very much!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can I have the dark skin back?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 01:33:27 AM »
You don't mention which Avast One product you gave installed, Avast One Free (essentials) or Avast One Paid, etc.  ?

The only way that is going to happen is reverting to Avast Antivirus, not Avast One, there are no skins as such, they went out a very long time ago.  So there is only one UI for Avast One product range. 
https://press.avast.com/media-materials/gallery-screenshots

The Darker UI is currently in the Avast Antivirus Free/Premium product range.

See these URLs for some examples of the Avast Antivirus UI
https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/install-free-antivirus/#pc
https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/167/#pc

Essentially your only option would be to download the
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline James Boyd

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 02:23:30 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

Well, what I had installed since 2016 is no longer what I have now. As I mentioned in the first post, I have vision problems. I remember seeing something about my Avast needs updating yesterday, and like I always do I clicked on update, and when it popped up the reboot notice, I chose to "do it tomorrow", and when I turned my computer on this morning, it was updated to Avast One, which based on what you said, I can only assume is due to my not noticing what I clicked on was not a standard update notification.

So I downloaded the Avast Antivirus Free and installed it. I hope I didn't botch it further...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 02:51:25 AM »
Well I suspect that this wasn't actually a program update but was offering Avast One.

I only ever do manual program updates and I can't recall ever having been offered Avast One, which I would turn down as it isn't as configurable as Avast Free Antivirus.  It also has more components and I don't think you can select not to install the one you haven't any need for.

I would have thought there would have been a need to do a clean reinstall as some have reported having problems as some remnants of the previous installation were still present (hence my mention of the uninstall utility below.

Hopefully you will be OK, but it may be that you will need to a complete clean reinstall of Avast Free and from what I have seen this may not be plain sailing. 

If you do experience problems:
You would have to download the clean uninstall utility, to run that after a regular windows uninstall of Avast One, reboot and then run the Avast One clean uninstall utility.  Then reinstall the Avast Free antivirus, before embarking on this expedition you would need to get all of your ducks in a row.  For example download all of the tools/programs needed in advance before starting any uninstall. This way you wouldn't be going online without protection to download the tools and the installation file for avast free.

Unfortunately this is about all of the practical help I can be never having Avast One and had to do the reversal to avast free.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline James Boyd

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 06:41:27 AM »
Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. Of the three old people living together in our house, I'm the one who is in the best shape, and as such I get drafted to do things all the time. Then I forgot about it for awhile... Old people, what can you say?

Anyway, it seems to be working ok. I decided that if I needed to do a clean uninstall I would (and I had my laptop ready to download any tools I might need in that case) but if I had to do that it would also clean up any mess that a simple re-installation would make (if any), but Avast seems to have cleaned up after itself, as there seems to be no "leftovers" from Avast One. And no offense to the programmers or anything, I didn't like that program at all. So I am very glad it was easy to fix my "senior moment"...

I will keep an eye on it for awhile and make sure everything is running normally. So Thank You again for your kind assistance!

James

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 12:50:32 PM »
You're welcome.

Offline James Boyd

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 08:20:23 AM »
Well... It seems it's not as simple as I had hoped. Yesterday morning I turned my computer on and there was a Avast popup on the screen which clearly said "Avast Antivirus Free" on the upper left side of it, and that a program update was available. I scrutinized that popup and there was no mention of Avast One, until I clicked on Update. Then a smaller, lower right corner popup said something to the effect of "Updating to Avast One Essentials." Now in my opinion that was not an offer, and I hate to call it "deceptive" as that seems rather harsh, but I will say it definitely lacked pertinent information indicating specifically what the update was for. And it did not seem to have an option to decline the update. At least not one I could see with low vision. (Which does not mean there wasn't one...)

So I repeated what I did the other day and reinstalled "Avast Antivirus Free" and set it nearly the way I had it before all this happened, but I set it to automatically update both the program and AV definitions. This morning, I was not tricked again. So I hope it stays that way, because while "Avast One Essentials" seems to work essentially the same as the other version, but that bright skin is a real game changer for me. (And this forum is even worse far too bright for me, so I wrote this offline.) If I can't keep the one I prefer, I may have to change AV software, which I would rather not do. I've had Avast in my last three computers, this one I bought in 2016, the one before that in 2013, and before that in 2010 and never had a single virus.

Offline James Boyd

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 05:38:48 AM »
After two days and several restarts, it seems to be good to go.

Thanks again, David!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 10:22:07 AM »
You're welcome, hopefully it will stay this way