Author Topic: Retrieving Bookmarks and Password  (Read 1787 times)

Offline maxlongo

Retrieving Bookmarks and Password
« on: September 24, 2022, 11:00:49 AM »
Hi everyone,
apology if there is another topic answering my question but I couldn't find it. In case, feel free to link it.

I have backup my whole C drive as I wanted to reinstall windows onto my machine and now I am having problems putting bookmarks and password back to the fresh copy of avast browser, which I was already using before the reinstallation.

I retrieved the whole user data folder in %user/AppData/Local/Avast Software/Browser but it seems that only the Bank Mode has the bookmarks I used but not the the other modes.

Can anyone tell me if there is some other folder and/or file I need to reinstate from the backup?

Thanks

Offline JosefK

• Avast team
Re: Retrieving Bookmarks and Password
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 02:27:02 PM »
Hello Max,

this won't work, simple rewriting of user's data folder by your backup folder in a freshly installed browser could cause troubles than good.

Better would be to use Avast User's account to synchronize data but I suppose you don't have one.

Now what you can do at least is to rewrite Bookmarks.bak in new browser install with the one from the backup and rename it to just Bookmarks, then you will have your bookmarks back in the browser.

Passwords in this case will be lost.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I suggest you to create an Avast account to synchronize your data from the browser to the cloud and next time you could just re-install machine/browser and sync your browser's data back.

Hope it will help.

Kind regards,
Josef