Author Topic: The Avast for Android app is becoming a pain in the backside.  (Read 3171 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The Avast for Android app is becoming a pain in the backside.
« on: September 23, 2022, 09:59:10 PM »
Well the subject says it all - I have 4 Android devices - so collectively this is a huge turn off

The Avast for Androd app is becoming a pain in the backside.

Why is the Avast Android app so different from the Avast for Windows.  Both are essentially on-access antivirus solutions (or are they):
On my Windows System I rarely if ever do an on-demand scan - outside of in response of a question in the  forums.

Android App
Pain in the backside one - So why do I continually get pain in the backside Notifications that I haven't done a scan for 7 days (I know that, I have no intent to do so), so I don't need a Notification every 7 days!  So why can't I switch these off ?

Pain in the backside two - the Web Shield - I keep getting notifications that it is off - yet going to the Notifications > Applications > Avast, the Web Shied is shown as ON.  If I back out at this point is still warns the Web Shield if Off.  So I have to go back in and A) switch it off, accepting the warning, now I Switch it back on, accepting the permission notice. Now it stays on until the next time which can be a few weeks.

Multiply this by 4 Android Devices and it quickly becomes a pain in the backside.  I rather doubt I'm alone in this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: The Avast for Android app is becoming a pain in the backside.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 11:20:53 AM »
+1

What really riles me is I have to go to Accessibility and toggle Avast Webshield from ON to OFF then back to ON again, to clear the notification.
Some poor coding there somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 11:25:06 AM by rocksteady »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 01:21:33 PM »
Well the subject says it all - I have 4 Android devices - so collectively this is a huge turn off

Why is the Avast Android app so different from the Avast for Windows.  Both are essentially on-access antivirus solutions (or are they):
On my Windows System I rarely if ever do an on-demand scan - outside of in response of a question in the  forums.

Android App
Pain in the backside one - So why do I continually get pain in the backside Notifications that I haven't done a scan for 7 days (I know that, I have no intent to do so), so I don't need a Notification every 7 days!  So why can't I switch these off ?

Pain in the backside two - the Web Shield - I keep getting notifications that it is off - yet going to the Notifications > Applications > Avast, the Web Shied is shown as ON.  If I back out at this point is still warns the Web Shield if Off.  So I have to go back in and A) switch it off, accepting the warning, now I Switch it back on, accepting the permission notice. Now it stays on until the next time which can be a few weeks.

Multiply this by 4 Android Devices and it quickly becomes a pain in the backside.  I rather doubt I'm alone in this.

Hi,

Is the Android device not perhaps stopping the Avast app and causing these two issues?
Please see: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/264/

Also, with Android 8 and above, if you tap and hold the notification, it should give you the option to block the notification.
If the above does not help, please report it to Avast mobile support via the app.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 02:11:09 PM »

<snip>

Hi,

Is the Android device not perhaps stopping the Avast app and causing these two issues?
Please see: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/264/

Also, with Android 8 and above, if you tap and hold the notification, it should give you the option to block the notification.
If the above does not help, please report it to Avast mobile support via the app.

I would have to say NO.
Following the "Samsung (Android 11 and 12)" instructions for Samsung Phones:
1.  Settings and tap Battery and device care.
2.  Tap Battery, then select Background usage limits.

Well in  - Background usage limits > Put Unused Apps to Sleep, I didn't even have that enabled on one phone. So technically no App should be put to sleep.
Even if I enable that and go to Never sleeping Apps (count '0') open that click + plus, Avast isn't even listed (on both Samsung phones Android 11 & 12).  So no way to even add that.  Nor is it listed in Sleeping Apps.

Yet Avast is listed in Apps, obviously or I couldn't run it or get these Notifications.

Re. Tap and hold notification suggestion:
Lets put it this way, would you want to block a notification that says your antivirus protection is off in case it isn't a false notification, presumably by the Antivirus App and not Android just displaying.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security