Author Topic: IP address  (Read 2915 times)

micky77

IP address
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:24:17 PM »
Hi,I see there are programs that let you hide your IP address while surfing.Is this necessary,can any harm be done to your computer if someone knows your IP address.Cheers

Offline polonus

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: IP address
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:42:43 PM »
Hi micky77,

No, I do not think so, your ISP knows your Ip address anyway, they are oblidged to do so now. You can use an anonymous service like a Proxy that hides your current Ip address, but then they have your data at the log server(s). Some can do a lot of tracking through javascript, and the protocol you use on the Internet is still un-encrypted (so you can sniff your password laden packets un-encrypted).
A way of relative anonymous surfing is using the Vidalia Bundle with Privoxy and Tor and use a browser like Torpark or xb-Browser with add-ons like NoScript and Stealther. But if you do that searching on Google will be denied because they think you are a robot.
In reality in this Big Brother World  invisibility has become almost impossible, and if for instance you bought your computer in a shop the ID or fingerprint of the machine has been taken and can be traced, not if you build it yourself, but that will cost you alot extra,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 12:37:38 PM »
Hi micky77,
No, I do not think so, your ISP knows your Ip address anyway, they are oblidged to do so now.
It is partiaslly true, but not in all countries (ie here in Ukraine similar law is currently under our Presiden veto ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 02:57:34 PM »
If you're not doing anything *very* illegal, you don't have to be worried about your IP being discovered/revealed. Do you have a fixed or dynamic IP?
The best things in life are free.

micky77

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 06:07:50 PM »
If you're not doing anything *very* illegal, you don't have to be worried about your IP being discovered/revealed. Do you have a fixed or dynamic IP?
I believe it is dynamic,and I don't do anything slightly illegal :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 12:57:34 PM »
I believe it is dynamic,and I don't do anything slightly illegal :)
So, be happy 8)
The best things in life are free.