Author Topic: Installing latest Avast free antivirus version on Windows 7 computer  (Read 737 times)

Offline Lost Horizon

Hi all,

1) Firstly, I've been meaning/wanting to update Avast free antivirus on my Windows 7 Home edition SP1 64-bit laptop to the latest version (which I guess now is 22.9.6034) but I'm kind of afraid that it'll cause some problems on my machine - the current version that I'm using now is 18.8.2356 (build 18.8.4084.0) which was released on 11/15/2018.

Can someone here PLEASE let me know if you've SUCCESSFULLY installed (or even FAILED to) the latest free antivirus on your Windows 7 computer? (By the way I always do the clean install i.e. uninstalling the old version first before installing the new one).

2) Secondly, I downloaded the latest version (22.9.6034) offline installer just in case I decide to go for it, and to my surprise its file size is 662MB that is quite a BIG JUMP from the 288MB offline installer of version 18.8.2356. Can someone PLEASE CONFIRM it?

3) And lastly, my subscription license is about to expire in 15 days (10/15/2022), I tried to renew it today but the software screen doesn't have the option for me to select the Avast Free Antivirus beside the option to upgrade to Avast Premium Security. What do I do then? PLEASE HELP.

Thank you very much

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: Installing latest Avast free antivirus version on Windows 7 computer
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 03:46:42 PM »
Hi.

I can't help you with points 2 and 3, but what I can tell you is that I'm running the latest version of Avast Free (22.9.6034 (build 22.9.7554.734)) on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit. Not via a clean install but through updates of previous versions. Avast works (albeit with its usual foibles).

I'm not sure Avast Free works with a license anymore. Just before the expiration date you'll likely get a screen asking to renew, with of course the paid version highlighted. You should be able to chose the free version and be done again for a while.

The big filesize doesn't suprise me. In the last years Avast has added a lot of bloat and 'extra functionality' it would very much like you to install and use. It all comes bundled in the installer so it is a big boy.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 04:05:22 PM by Rundvleeskroket »