Author Topic: Can I schedule weekly definitions update?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Josh D.

Can I schedule weekly definitions update?
« on: October 08, 2022, 07:48:08 AM »
I have three options to update the definitions: auto, remind me, and manual (and stream). But I would like to schedule it to not nag me to update, and would like to schedule the update every monday of the week instead (automatically). Is this possible? I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I'm used to eset and being able to configure everything to my systems, and I'm not finding that option here.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can I schedule weekly definitions update?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 12:10:53 PM »
I can't recall it ever having been asked before, however it isn't a function I'm aware of.

The Virus Definitions aren't just virus definitions only.
The Engine and Virus definitions to give it its full name, deals with Virus Definitions (and streaming updates, which you can disable), can also deliver updates to the scanning Engine (process to carry out the scans) and also deliver Emergency Updates.

I have no idea exactly what it is that you are trying to achieve here (presumably you use your computer more than once a week), other than control over your system which could put your system at increased risk.  Also after a week this update could be quite large in one hit rather than smaller incremental updates.

I have my Avast Program Updates set to Manual (as I'm able to see program updated via the forum), but I wouldn't consider that for the Engine and definitions update.  As I see it If you wish to go down that path the only option currently would be to set it To Manual (no nags/reminders) and add a weekly calendar entry to update the Engine and Virus definitions
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Josh D.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 04:14:22 PM »
I'm simply just not that paranoid. I've been building and maintaining systems long enough that I know they don't need to be DDoSd virus updates, as they're always behind at least by a few days, if not more. I prefer update scheduling, it's just a quality of life thing.

Good to know it isn't available, though.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 06:53:52 PM »
Well the daily incremental updates are in the region of 8-10 a day, but in the 18 years I have been using Avast Free I have seen more than 10 in a day. That way the download size is relatively small, however from the introduction of the Streaming updates that is much smaller so it keeps the main virus definitions very up to date.

Yes a virus definition/signature would first have to be created due to new discoveries, but that would always be the same no matter what way you decide to update the virus definitions.  But waiting a week to update would put you potentially further behind the curve.

However, how you decide to proceed on your system is entirely up to you.

I'm not that paranoid either, but I also have plans, based on if you don't want to lose it back it up, making system and data backups on very regular intervals.  I guess you must do the same ;)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 10:11:30 PM »
I can't recall it ever having been asked before, however it isn't a function I'm aware of.
hi,
if you are willing to take risks, I think that the function can be found in the hidden menu (geek:area)....indicating "auto-update every : 10080 min" (1 week)
At your own risk

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 11:04:23 PM »
hi,
if you are willing to take risks, I think that the function can be found in the hidden menu (geek:area)....indicating "auto-update every : 10080 min" (1 week)
At your own risk
Unless there a concern about internet use such as additional cost, I can't see any reason to decrease updating your protection. (That's my opinion.)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 11:17:10 PM »
hi,
At your own risk

Personally I hate the concept of the geek area (a hidden undocumented area), it's a bit like sweeping the rubbish under the carpet (hiding it).  I also feel there are many things that simply shouldn't be there and it is a bloody single level dumping ground.  That said I don't know if this would apply to the Streaming Updates or not as think the 240min (default) applies to the actual Engine and virus updates.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 11:20:53 PM »
hi,
At your own risk
Unless there a concern about internet use such as additional cost, I can't see any reason to decrease updating your protection. (That's my opinion.)
Neither did I, but I wasn't giving my opinion on the usefulness of the function ... I was basically answering the question asked, namely :
....would like to schedule the update every monday of the week instead (automatically). Is this possible?...... I'm not finding that option here.
No more no less  ;)
Josh D does what he wants with it
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 11:26:21 PM by chris.. »

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 11:50:49 AM »
hi,
At your own risk
......That said I don't know if this would apply to the Streaming Updates or not as think the 240min (default) applies to the actual Engine and virus updates.
Of course the 2 settings are different
As far as streaming updates are concerned, you don't need the hidden menu, you can directly disable them in the basic UI.
So, only the default configuration of 240 min (or geek:area settings)will be considered

edit:Without going through the hidden menu, it may also be possible to modify the schedule directly through the windows scheduled tasks...the trigger of the emergency update task is at 4 hours by default
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 12:05:27 PM by chris.. »