Author Topic: Avast cleanup sleep mode  (Read 4176 times)

Offline simpson3k

Avast cleanup sleep mode
« on: October 18, 2022, 09:21:44 AM »
If activated while the system is running its nice to have running background processes being put to sleep mode to save system ressources but when those processes then at reboot arent even started it kind of shoots over target effect, doesnt it?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast cleanup sleep mode
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 03:45:27 PM »
Hi,

When putting apps to sleep, Cleanup keeps the service stopped. If you use an application on a daily basis, we do not recommend putting it to sleep.

Offline simpson3k

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 12:18:19 PM »
Ok but the services i put in sleep mode did not close them, those who had a tray icon where still visible, like MSI Afterburner or Steam. So does it mean the sleep mode needs a reboot to complete and remove all sleeping apps from autostart? I was assuming sleep mode only put services in a semi active mode that reduces their system ressource comsumption till they are triggered by the user. But its a big difference if i wake up steam from passive running or if i have to launch it first, validating installations bla bla before the icon apears in the tray. Not to mention that MSI Afterburner in a passive mode still showed gpu and cpu temperature and usage in the tray in "the pre reboot sleepmode" wich is the reason i installed it in the first place.

Apps i dont need to be launched at all, i uninstall.

So it seems to me the sleep mode is pretty useless if it only means to completly shut down the app. Take the windows in power save mode, what use would it have if it means to shut down the computer everytime it goes to power save mode?

Did i miss something here?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 09:36:24 AM »
Apps in Sleep mode have their services stopped until the user manually launches the app. This means any checks the app service does on startup will only be launched then, potentially making the user wait.
Sleep mode is particularly useful for applications you do not use daily or that do not have to be permanently opened.
Examples:
-Adobe Reader - active only when you need to open/read a file
-The same with MS Office
-A secondary browser - can be kept in a sleep state until you need it

Offline Trevor19

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 11:52:46 AM »
Nevermind.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 11:57:59 AM by Trevor19 »