Author Topic: *** Avast Mac Edition Released...  (Read 48813 times)

loukingjr

Re: *** Avast Mac Edition Released...
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 12:13:13 AM »
Well a few things, first, I can't seem to check for updates. Avast for the Mac locks up every time I do and I have to force quit it. I have it allowed in the Mac Firewall. Running 10.5.1. I am also kind of disappointed that after using the FREE!!! version for Windows for quite awhile I have to pay for the Mac version. I feel slighted :). And I agree having mail.app every time is annoying and hard to believe no one who beta tested said anything. Lastly, Avast! for the Mac actually flags itself with a warning which I find peculiar. Anyway, thats my two cents.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 10:49:48 AM »
Well a few things, first, I can't seem to check for updates. Avast for the Mac locks up every time I do and I have to force quit it. I have it allowed in the Mac Firewall. Running 10.5.1. I am also kind of disappointed that after using the FREE!!! version for Windows for quite awhile I have to pay for the Mac version. I feel slighted :). And I agree having mail.app every time is annoying and hard to believe no one who beta tested said anything. Lastly, Avast! for the Mac actually flags itself with a warning which I find peculiar. Anyway, thats my two cents.

Hallo,
please, specify the exact version of Your system and machine. I re-tested updating mechanism on  10.5.1 (build 9B18), and it works as expected. Such freezing was never observed/reported - even with broken connectivity, the manual update attempt will end after timeout, with an allert window, there's no need for forcing quit / explicit killing.

Update uses standart http connection, but the target IP might vary (we have more update-servers), so please verify Your firewall settings first, and report eventually more details about this case.

Thanks for Your report.

regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

loukingjr

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 12:56:07 PM »
okay, 10.5.1 build (9B18) running on a late 2006 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. As far has having to force quit, it does first say "checking for incremental updates", then "downloading update (please wait)...", then after a time just switches to the spinning rainbow ball and in the Dock it says Application not responding, and the option to force quit.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 03:25:19 PM »
okay, 10.5.1 build (9B18) running on a late 2006 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. As far has having to force quit, it does first say "checking for incremental updates", then "downloading update (please wait)...", then after a time just switches to the spinning rainbow ball and in the Dock it says Application not responding, and the option to force quit.

Well, tested on my Intel MacBook Pro Core2 right now, against the same build 9B81 - and it works. The problem is maybe that it really takes time (the update is not incremental yet), and during this process, GUI is busy.

Are You sure, that the state is futile and never-ending? Also, use "top" utility to get a clue whether avast\! (gui) or com.avast.MacAvast.MAD (engine) consumes time or not. If not, it's probably still waiting for the web-downloading to complete.

For now, I'm unable to reproduce this flaw.

regards,
PC

May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 08:38:49 PM »

Well, tested on my Intel MacBook Pro Core2 right now, against the same build 9B81 - and it works. The problem is maybe that it really takes time (the update is not incremental yet), and during this process, GUI is busy.

Are You sure, that the state is futile and never-ending? Also, use "top" utility to get a clue whether avast\! (gui) or com.avast.MacAvast.MAD (engine) consumes time or not. If not, it's probably still waiting for the web-downloading to complete.

regards,
PC
10.5.1 build 9B18 (Intel Core Duo Mac Mini) Updating works as expected but the update does take a while to download.

And I agree having mail.app every time is annoying and hard to believe no one who beta tested said anything.
I keep mail running 99% of the time anyway so Guess it never bothered me ::)

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

loukingjr

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 10:58:42 PM »
hmmm. ok, I am going to reinstall and just let it go for awhile. i am on dialup and since theres no feedback to say how far along it is I just assumed 30 mins should be enough time. I'll try once more.. and thanks

loukingjr

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 11:05:02 PM »
sigh, I can't reinstall it. its saying my license is invalid or expired and won't let me do anything without a license but quit. lol I just downloaded this yesterday to try. Oh well.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 06:11:15 AM »
sigh, I can't reinstall it. its saying my license is invalid or expired and won't let me do anything without a license but quit. lol I just downloaded this yesterday to try. Oh well.
Use Spotlight to make sure you removed all of the files.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

loukingjr

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
Use Spotlight to make sure you removed all of the files.

actually Spotlight in Leopard won't find all your files, or anyone else's. I found something that can find anything, deleted your files, then reinstalled which worked. now I'm jusy watching the spinning beach ball to see if it ever stops. :-D

loukingjr

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »

regards,
PC

I wish someone would have asked me to beta test this. first, turns out it takes 40 mins or so to download the virus update on dialup. Incremental updates are a must on dialup. I set Avast to scan my user/library folder and the MAD daemon crashed both times. It then asks if I want to rescan the path again or just where it left off once the daemon restarts, but I can't see anyway to restart it without restarting Avast. And once you do that it has forgotten where it left off or what path it scanned. Personally, I absolutely loved the Windows version and told everyone I knew to use it. I'm not so sure this was ready for release.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 06:33:59 PM »
I wish someone would have asked me to beta test this.

You could have! the beta was open to the public for like 3 months. Link was here on the Forum.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »

Well, I placed one license on the former betatesting page, so you can get it here: http://public.avast.com/~cimbal/mar2008.lic .
After installing, please let me know whether the flaw still occurs as a never-ending update attempt.

Regards,
PC

rhs07

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 04:11:14 AM »
I'm glad to announce the availability of the long awaited avast! Mac Edition.
Please refer to http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-antivirus-mac-edition.html for details.

I wish I'd sen this a few weeks ago. I used Avast for years on Windows systems, and looked for it for Mac when I decided it was time to add a bit of protection to my Mac systems. I still have the other AV app I bought (no point in deleted a paid-for app), but rely once again on Avast.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 12:07:57 PM »

regards,
PC

I wish someone would have asked me to beta test this. first, turns out it takes 40 mins or so to download the virus update on dialup. Incremental updates are a must on dialup. I set Avast to scan my user/library folder and the MAD daemon crashed both times. It then asks if I want to rescan the path again or just where it left off once the daemon restarts, but I can't see anyway to restart it without restarting Avast. And once you do that it has forgotten where it left off or what path it scanned. Personally, I absolutely loved the Windows version and told everyone I knew to use it. I'm not so sure this was ready for release.

Indeed, for classis dial-up, the present form of full-updates might be uncomfortable a bit. Thus, it's wise to enlarge the checking interval, or to disable the auto-checking entirely (and click manual update only on demand).

incremental update will be added in next major release.

regards,
pc

BenkoG

Found anything
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 08:44:57 AM »
I set up avast! Mac Edition on last Sunday on iMac G4 with OS X 10.4. This machine is an used (before me). In time of first background scan avast! found one virus and 113 warnings. There is a long list about scanned files, where I can see report only abvout infected file(s)? Another interesting question: have anybody found virus on own system? What type of?
Reason of qusetion: we sell avast! in Hungary, but here are a geroup of mac users who says that Mac haven't any viruses... They cannot say any other. :-))

Thanks.

BenkoG