Author Topic: Boot time scan again  (Read 2083 times)

Online MrDJ

Boot time scan again
« on: October 22, 2022, 03:11:06 PM »
Following on from my previous post on this https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=320945.0

Today i thought it was about time to revert back to the latest avast update on this and try the new WRE boot time scan.

I ticked the box in the geek area and rebooted.
i then waited for the Avast anti virus is loading......and loading......and loading.
After 20 minutes i guessed it wasnt going to load so gave up but the only way to get out of this screen was a hard turn off.

So, over to the experts again. as far as i read on previous posts this issue was now fixed and the windows recovery enviroment boot time scan had been fixed.

Any ideas please.

updated info
PC Clevo gaming laptop
windows 10 pro 64bit 19044.1889
avast premium security
definitions 22/10/22 ver221022-2
version 11/10/22 version 22.10.6038- build 22.10.7633.734
malwarebytes free instaalled (not enabled)
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Boot time scan again
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 08:19:32 PM »
Hi,
You don't seem to be the only one who still has the problem.
Indeed, I had reported in the French forum, when version 22.9 was released that the problem should be solved with this version.
But like you - and after rechecking the box - I was told that the bug was still there. :(

Online MrDJ

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 09:35:35 PM »
Hi,
Indeed, I had reported in the French forum, when version 22.9 was released that the problem should be solved with this version.
But like you - and after rechecking the box - I was told that the bug was still there. :(
Thanks for the reply chris. much appretiated.
so its untick again and use the old version of boot time. even though in all these years ive never sussed out where to find the report of the scan :)
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 01:52:28 AM »
Hi,
so its untick again and use the old version of boot time. even though in all these years ive never sussed out where to find the report of the scan :)

This is where one of them used to live a very long time ago - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\aswBoot.txt file - convert that Avast Software format, it would be C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\aswboot.txt.
If I remember rightly there used to be one in the C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log folder

I haven't done a boot-time scan in so long many, many years there is no aswboot.txt file in the report sub folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online MrDJ

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 01:18:48 PM »
Hi,

This is where one of them used to live a very long time ago - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\aswBoot.txt file - convert that Avast Software format, it would be C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\aswboot.txt.
If I remember rightly there used to be one in the C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log folder

I haven't done a boot-time scan in so long many, many years there is no aswboot.txt file in the report sub folder.
Thanks David.
i will go and have a search. just a little strange why they would be hidden away deep in the program folders.

ok done a thorough search through everything in Program files and also Program files (x86) and Program Data but nothing found.
I did find a couple of readable log file reports for standard full virus scans but nothing to do with boot time scan.

Oh well, thanks for posting the above.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 03:46:05 PM »
You're welcome.

Well all of the avast report and log files are contained there.

That said in the Scans settings you generally have to opt to generate a report, see attached.
However this option doesn't appear to be present for the Boot-time scan.  Even so it used to create a report file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 06:03:31 PM »
It also seems to me that at the beginning of the boot time scan, the path to the report file is indicated on the DOS window.
The problem - often - is that the scan takes too long time and when we come back to the desktop, we don't remember the exact path.

However, I also don't understand why avast doesn't give direct access to it in the UI with all the scan details
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 06:07:27 PM by chris.. »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 06:18:01 PM »
<snip>

However, I also don't understand why avast doesn't give direct access to it in the UI with all the scan details

Agreed it wouldn't be rocket science to add an option in the UI.   

Generally the files would be protected by the self-defence module to prevent editing/deletion.  The default it allows notepad.exe and that should be available in Windows OS.

Online MrDJ

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 06:37:29 PM »
You're welcome.

That said in the Scans settings you generally have to opt to generate a report, see attached.
However this option doesn't appear to be present for the Boot-time scan.  Even so it used to create a report file.
Interesting, cant find that tick box anywhere. ive only got the shut down (image 3)

strangely enough ive just seen this for the first time. honestly never noticed it before (image 1) but the drop down just gives a basic of the scan (image 2).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2022, 09:16:26 PM »
You're welcome.

Interesting, cant find that tick box anywhere. ive only got the shut down (image 3)

strangely enough ive just seen this for the first time. honestly never noticed it before (image 1) but the drop down just gives a basic of the scan (image 2).

That would be because you didn't first go to the UI > Menu > settings, that is where my screenshot is from and shows you want the report to be generated.  However you would may have already done that.  But I think these very basic results (in your 2nd screenshot) could be a default, when viewed in the Scan History information.

Online MrDJ

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 09:21:44 PM »
You're welcome.

That would be because you didn't first go to the UI > Menu > settings, that is where my screenshot is from and shows you want the report to be generated.  However you would may have already done that.  But I think these very basic results (in your 2nd screenshot) could be a default, when viewed in the Scan History information.
what a numpty i am :D
Thanks David. found now and ticked.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 09:27:51 PM »
You're welcome.

what a numpty i am :D
Thanks David. found now and ticked.

You're welcome.